Flower Crowns, Fan Fiction and Queer Literature: Your Monday of Freshers’ Week 2017

Helping you use your time wisely, Charlotte O'Reilly provides a shortlist of tomorrow's best freshers events.

Charlotte O'ReillySocieties Editor

Stepping through Front Arch is always overwhelming regardless of whether this is your first Freshers’ Week or not. It’s easy to get muddled with what’s-on-where and who’s-doing-what, so we’ve made a lovely, concise list of what you really shouldn’t miss today.

Queer Literature Luncheon with Litsoc and Qsoc:

Come join these wonderfully wacky people for some good, old-fashioned readings of Queer Literature. There’ll be extracts from A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue as well as selections from authors such as Oscar Wilde and Evelyn Waugh. With food, roses and books, you’ll feel right at home to discuss all things queer. The Luncheon starts at 12:30pm in the Rose Garden and all are welcome.

Pavnic flower crown workshop with Vis Arts and The Phil:

If you’re wandering by the Pav at 1pm, you’ll find some soon-to-be pals sharing cans, food and sweet tunes. What makes this event even better is the fact that there will be flower crowns in the making. Vis Arts experts will be there to advise any and all participants on the proper flower crown construction technique. You can then wear your crown for the Forest/Floral Themed, annual Club Philth event this coming Thursday. Note: if it rains, the event will be moved to the GMB.

Mock Mock Trial with Lawsoc and Players:

All UCD infiltrators beware, you could end up on trial today for treason. Head over to Players at 3pm to watch what is sure to be the most humourous court case in the history of time. With improv pros at the top of their game, who knows how it will end. All attendees will form the jury. The fate of a helpless fresher will be in your hands. Use your power wisely. But most of all, have fun.

Chicago Themed Workshop with DU Dance and TMT:

Squeeze into your flapper dresses and dust off your coat tails for this Chicago-themed dance workshop. The workshop kicks off at 5pm, after which all the fresh young things will be heading over to the Pav for the 1920s-themed night out. If dance isn’t your style, then you can head straight to the Pav. Alternatively, if you’re only in it for the Cell Block Tango, then you can go the the Ancillary Hall at 5pm for what is sure to be an evening of extravagance.

Fan Fiction Night with Du Comedy and Litsoc:

Are you a fan of fan fiction? If the thought of dramatic readings of the finest works of this genre sends chills down your spine, then head over to Tramline on Hawkins St at 7pm for some “really good embarrassing fun” as promised by Litsoc Chair, Deirbhile Brennan. With DU Comedy in collaboration, there is sure to be some side-splitting laughs along the way.