Societies Bring World Culture to Trinity Students

Trinity AIESEC hosted their global village event today, showcasing the variety of culture-related societies on campus.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor

Trinity AIESEC, along with fourteen of the College’s other culture-related societies, gathered today in the Global Room for an exhibition of the world culture and what they the societies have to offer. In attendance were the Trinity Italian Society, the Society for International Affairs (SOFIA) and the Trinity Indian Society, among many more. Also in attendance were Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union’s (TCDSU) international and ethnic minorities officers in their role as members of the Trinity Global Office.

Trinity AIESEC is part of the world’s largest student-run organisation that focuses on developing young people’s leadership skills. They do that by sending students to volunteer and do internships around the world. AIESEC is partnered with the UN and all of its volunteering projects are working towards one or more of the UN’s 17 sustainable development goals. The global village is an idea which developed from AIESEC’s international conferences. At these conferences, the AIESEC branches from different countries get together for an afternoon or evening in a “global village” to showcase their own cultures.

When asked why the global village mattered, Trinity AIESEC chair Anniina Hautamäki, explained that “this event is important in order to bring together international societies and raise awareness of the cultural diversity on campus as well as promote Trinity as a global campus”.

Speaking to The University Times, debate convenor of the French Society Ethan Campbell-Foley explained the importance of “sharing” and “celebrating” the cultures that are present on the campus of Trinity. Campbell-Foley also mentioned the opportunity for cultural societies to thrive in Trinity because of the scope of the “global outlook” present here on campus.

Trinity AIESEC hoped that the event would succeed in bringing together a variety of Trinity’s international societies and showcase the cultural diversity and global interest that students in Trinity have.

Trinity Yoga Society’s chairperson Lia Grogan explained that Yoga Soc’s interest in taking part came from the cultural background and lifestyle behind practicing yoga. Being just a sport and a form of relaxation to many, the cultural background behind yoga is often overlooked. Grogan describes how even just making posters and decorations for that stand led her to learn a lot more about yoga than she had previously known.

Trinity AIESEC’s Global Village succeeded in bringing together the different cultural societies available to students. With the Global Room almost packed to capacity, the global village also succeeded in attracting many students with interests in foreign cultures.

Anyone interested in getting involved with Trinity AIESEC’s work can sign up at the stand in Front Square this week. The society will also have information stands and information evenings in College throughout the coming academic year.