Speaking with the Cosiest Society on Campus

From crochet to embroidery, Trinity's KnitSoc opens its arms up to all craft enthusiasts.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor
KnitSoc

Trinity Knitting Society (KnitSoc) was established in 2010, and since then it has developed a solid following of craft enthusiasts along with people just looking to pick up a new skill. On their society cards, they claim to be Trinity’s “cosiest, cuddliest, crafting society”, and so The University Times speaks with KnitSoc to find out what they’re all about.

KnitSoc is a society dedicated to any and all fibre arts, including knitting, crochet, embroidery and anything else one does with yarn or thread. KnitSoc doesn’t require previous knowledge of being able to knit, crochet or embroider and the society opens its arms to anyone with an interest in joining.

KnitSoc hosts two different weekly events that are open to all members of all skill levels. On Mondays at 5pm, there is a tutorial where members come to learn a new skill every week. This is followed by the infamous “Stitch and Bitch” every Tuesday from 5pm to 7pm. The “Stitch and Bitch” takes place in the Eliz Room in House Six, where members gather together to knit, crochet and chat to their hearts’ content with tea and biscuits provided.

Throughout the year, KnitSoc hosts themed “Stitch and Bitch” sessions, including a plarn workshop during Green Week in college. Plarn is short for “plastic yarn” and is made by cutting up strips of plastic bags and stringing them together to make one long strand that can be used to knit or crochet with. The event will be conducted by Simon Benson, the society’s Public Relations Officer, who is also Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union’s (TCDSU) Environmental Officer. KnitSoc has many exciting plans up their sleeve for the year ahead, and shared a few of their upcoming “Stitch and Bitch” events, including an annual “Rainbow Stitch ‘n’ Bitch” with QSoc during TCDSU Rainbow Week and a collaboration with Amnesty International called “Am-knit-sy” where members of KnitSoc will help Amnesty International members learn how to knit.

Chairperson of KnitSoc Molly McCrory shares her experience of joining the society as a nervous fresher: “When I first joined KnitSoc in my first year, it was at the request of my friend, an experienced knitter. I learned to knit at the PicKnit that Freshers’ Week and ended up showing up to continue knitting every week because I not only enjoyed knitting, I loved the company.” And now, two years later, McCrory is the chair of the society. McCrory jokes that “knitting will be an invaluable skill in the inevitable apocalypse, when the ability to manufacture textiles will be quite the hot commodity” and she urges anyone to come along, learn how to knit and have a cup of tea.

“I’ll end with a note to anyone hesitant to join”, says McCrory. “You can start from scratch and need not worry, since you’ll be surrounded by people in the same place as you. We’re a pleasant bunch who don’t care how often you show up if you’re super busy, we just want you to come along when you can and enjoy yourself!”