Trinity GAA Come up Short Against DIT in Opening League Fixture

A concerted effort resulted in Trinity’s senior footballers losing by one point against DIT last night, with a finishing scoreline of 1-14 to 2-10.

Róisín O'DonoghueContributing Writer
Muireann Nic Corcráin for The University Times

Despite a strong first-half performance, Trinity GAA’s Senior men’s football team fell just short of a win against Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) in their opening game of the Division One Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Football League.

On an ideal evening for gaelic football, the two universities met in Parnells GAA Club, Coolock. Early wides were kicked from both sides. However, Trinity keeper Michael Shiel was soon put to the test, pulling off a fantastic save in the opening five minutes. In response, the Trinity defenders were quick to tighten up and some well-disciplined tackles from Dara O’Shea and David Lennon forced a number of DIT attempts wide.

DIT managed to put the first score on the board despite immense pressure from the Trinity defence. Shiel’s accurately pinpointed kick outs allied to clever movement from the half back line proved effective as a number of passes led to the first point for Trinity, courtesy of Matthew Shortall.

Trinity displayed wonderful retention of possession throughout a first half that featured excellent blocking from midfield duo James Guinness and Bryan Magee. A slick dummy from Guinness, with a quick pass to captain Eoin O’Neill, forced DIT to foul the full forward right in front of the posts. Further ill-discipline from DIT’s full-back brought the free-kick forward, with Magee slotting it over easily.

Continuous pressure by Trinity’s half back line forced the DIT forwards to shoot aimlessly. Shiel was compelled to make another save, the rebound of which was kicked over the bar. Once again, Trinity’s defence immediately corrected their mistake and superb defending in packs led to another point slotted over by Guinness. Corner forward Dylan Brady also scored with a free from a difficult position.

DIT edged their way back into the game with another point from play but a cracking goal from O’Neill after slipping past three defenders pushed the red-and-blacks further ahead. Wing back Niall Hickey showed no fear of going forward as he set up Brady to kick another fine point.

A brutal charge from DIT’s centre forward on full back Tadgh McGahern led to a black card for DIT and tensions began rising nearing the close of the first half. Strong hits and immense pressure from Paddy Bohane, Hickey and Darragh O’Kelly resulted in a fantastic turnover for Trinity, harking back to the days of classic gaelic football. DIT kicked the final score of the half, and after a convincing display of football, Trinity led by three points.

Trinity started the second half just as they had finished the first, with a perfectly accurate cross field ball from Paddy Bohane finding Guinness whose shot was deflected over the bar. Another free from an awkward angle was fired over the bar by Magee.

While full back McGahern ran the show in defence, DIT were by no means giving up, with a couple of substitutions refreshing their side and two excellent points from play galvanising them.

Although Trinity did further their advantage, with O’Neill scoring an excellent goal after some clever interplay with Bohane, it was not to last.

DIT entered their purple patch with a cracking goal and a further point from play. Shiel’s kickouts were helped by the strengthening breeze but as tiredness set in Trinity were having trouble gaining and maintaining possession. Scores were level until DIT edged in front with another two points from play.

A resolute Trinity refused to surrender and after some strong tackling, Brady kicked a tremendous point. However, after kicking three wides, DIT once again found their scoring boots with three unanswered points.

Trinity were awarded another free, kicked smoothly over the bar from the ground by centre-back Keelan Beirne. An attacking burst from Guinness led to another free a minute from time, which Beirne slotted over to narrow the gap to just one point.

One final attack from Trinity resulted in another difficult free that veered wide and the whistle blew, with sighs of relief to be heard from DIT. While a disappointing result, there was little between the sides and the Trinity men showed much potential for improvement.

Speaking with The University Times after the game, captain Eoin O’Neill praised his side’s performance: “I am incredibly proud of the group of players we have. We fought tooth and nail for a win there tonight but unfortunately it didn’t swing in our favour.” Next up for the team is a clash with Carlow IT in Santry on October 18th.