Trinity Hurlers Run Riot in Victory over Ill-Disciplined Ulster University

Trinity Hurlers made it three wins from three in Santry last night, emerging 3-21 to 1-17 winners over Ulster University Jordanstown.

Matthew Murphy Assistant Sports Editor
Jeff Dwan O'Reilly for The University Times

Despite finishing the game with 14 men, Trinity’s senior hurlers eased their way into a comprehensive 3-21 to 1-17 victory over Ulster University Jordanstown (UUJ) last night, in a game marked by ill-discipline on both sides.

Despite the bitterly cold conditions, neither side were slow out of the blocks as the frenzied opening five minutes saw both sides show considerable creativity in attack. Donncha Butler drew first blood inside 20 seconds when he fired home an excellent long range score from the sideline. Not to be outdone, UUJ answered almost immediately when their full-forward broke clear on goal, only to be unceremoniously pulled down in the square by Trinity full-back, Darragh O’Donoghue. However, the resulting penalty failed to test goalkeeper Eoin Skelly as it was blasted over the bar.

The freezing conditions contributed to handling errors early on among the Ulster backs as Trinity began to gain a foothold in the game. Points from Butler, and two from centre-forward, Fionn Ó Riain Broin, gave Trinity an early cushion, before newly announced sports scholar Cian O’Sullivan was unlucky to see his shot athletically pushed away by the visitors’ goalkeeper. Ill-discipline was proving to be a continuous problem for the UUJ backs, and in Fionn O’Riain Broin, Trinity had a real sharp-shooter, sending over three frees back to back and putting UUJ on the ropes.

Despite looking dangerous early on, the UUJ full-forward line were starved of possession by the hardworking Trinity backs, with Ciarán Heeney and Manus Malone both looking impressive sweeping in front of the full-back line.

The game really sparked to life in the closing minutes of the half. Trinity was the first to register a goal when lively wing-forward Donnacha Butler found the back of the net with a sweetly struck shot. Sensing the danger of a heavy defeat, UUJ came to life and struck back almost immediately with a well-worked goal of its own. A point from a 65-metre free as the half drew to a close narrowed the Trinity lead to just five points at half-time.

Trinity were quicker out of the blocks in the second half with Fionn Ó Riain Broin adding another pointed free to his tally after hard work by Mark Corry and Johnny Walsh, who was making his senior debut after an impressive performance for the fresher team on Tuesday night. Ó Riain Broin soon added another free to extend Trinity’s lead against an increasingly frustrated-looking UUJ side. Ó Riain Broin would finish the game with an extraordinary 12 points from frees. Solid defensive efforts from Eoghan McNamara at wing-back and Darragh O’Donoghue at full-back limited opportunities for the visitors.

Despite picking off some pointed frees of their own, UUJ’s players were unable to make a meaningful dent in the home side’s lead, which was extended further midway through the second half when full-forward Ross Gorey collected a pass from Ó Riain Broin, and broke through the tackle before slamming the ball into the back of the UUJ net.

The game went somewhat flat as it drifted towards its inevitable conclusion. Despite UUJ adding some late points to bring an air of respectability to the score, and corner-forward, Mark Corry, receiving his marching orders for a second yellow card, Trinity cruised home. Manager Shane O’Brien was keen to test his bench and introduced former Wexford minor player Ger Dempsey, as well as Daniel Long, for their Trinity Senior debuts.

In the closing moments, Cian O’Riain Broin reacted quickest to tap home the rebound when his brother Fionn’s long-range free was batted away, but by this point the game was effectively over as a contest as Trinity cruised to a 3-21 to 1-17 victory.

Trinity now advance to the league semi-final, where the team will no doubt seek to continue its unbeaten start to the season and seize a league title that has proved elusive in recent years.