Weakened DUFC Women Outclassed by Impressive Wexford Wanderers

A depleted Trinity side suffered a heavy 43-0 defeat to a hugely talented Wexford Wanderers team.

Matthew MurphyAssistant Sports Editor

Dublin University Football Club (DUFC) Women continued their difficult opening to the season, slipping to a disappointing 41-0 defeat against Wexford Wanderers in Division Three of the Leinster league. The severely under-strength side, missing several key starters, ultimately ended the match with 12 players due to a succession of injuries.

Joe Horan’s team has been the subject of significant rebuilding since the previous campaign, with only seven of the starting team featuring last season. For flanker, Síofra McGuiness, the game had the added significance of facing off against her former team.

Prior to the game a moment’s silence in memory of former Wexford Wanderers player and Irish international, Neville Furlong, who recently passed away, was observed. The early stages proved to be an even affair, with Trinity probing the Wexford line for weaknesses. Heavy rain over the weekend created damp conditions and contributed to handling errors from both sides early on. However, Wexford quickly came to grips with the conditions and quick hands saw their fly half break the Trinity tackle on the sideline, before touching down beneath the posts.

This early dominance for Wexford set the tone of the game, with the home side soon battering the Trinity line in search of a second try. Only superb defence from Trinity, and centre Ciara Grogan, prevented the south-east side extending their lead.

DUFC’s task became even tougher on the half hour, when prop Jane Leahy was forced off with an injury. With no replacements available to Joe Horan, the team were reduced to 14 players. Wexford soon took advantage of this, adding two converted tries in the minutes before the break, leaving Trinity trailing 21-0 at half time.

Wexford exploded out of the blocks in the second half. Forming a maul from a lineout, they forced their way over the Trinity line in the opening minutes. Falling 26 points behind seemed to jolt Trinity to their senses, and two quick penalties from captain Molly Boyne led Trinity within inches of notching a major. Síofra McGuiness also worked hard testing her former team, but Wexford successfully absorbed the pressure, before adding another try to extend their lead to 31 points.

With Genieve Ruesch and Cathy Liney both leaving the field due to injury, Trinity were reduced to 12 players for the final period of the game, and went for broke. Both McGuiness and Boyne again came close to adding an air of respectability to the scoreline, before a misplaced pass was picked up by the Wexford number 13 who sprinted the length of the pitch to touch down. The home side added another try in the closing stages to leave the final score at 43-0.

Speaking to The University Times after the match, coach Joe Horan noted that the team was missing some key players due to injuries and family events. He also emphasised that this is a team in transition, noting that at this stage of the season the focus must be on “getting the shape of the team more, because it’s only been one week of training”.

Next up for DUFC is a tough challenge against NUI Galway in College Park on Wednesday.