Five of the Best: Christmas Puddings

We've picked out the best Christmas puddings for you this Christmas.

Lorna ReidFood & Drink Editor

When Belinda Carlisle sang “Ooh, heaven is a place on earth”, I’m pretty confident that she was talking about a warm bowl of Christmas pudding and custard. Whether you are studying for Schols or watching The Holiday for the 10th time, we have sourced the best Christmas puddings for your tastebuds to enjoy, right on your doorstep.

Green Door Bakery, Stoneybatter

These bad boys are a solid 900g in weight, boasting heady quantities of Guinness and brandy. They are nothing if not decadent, and are well worth their selling price at €15.95.

Treat, Cabra

These homemade puddings are covered in beautifully wrapped brown paper with red ribbon and are best enjoyed in the cosy, quirky surroundings of Treat cafe, located on Imaal Rd, in the heart of Cabra. I’ve been assured that a small pudding, which costs €8, serves two large portions, but I would encourage you to view this as a challenge not to be shared. Otherwise, the larger pudding is €14.

Fallon & Byrne, Exchequer St

Get them while they are hot, folks. Fresh from the bakery on a Friday, these puddings are very popular and snapped up quickly. For those unwilling to share, they do a small pudding (400g) for €8 and a larger one (800g) for €16.

Thunders Home Bakery, Drumcondra

Only fresh in this week, these puddings are heavier than the weights I lift in the gym. At 900g and 1.3kg, they retail for €10 and €15 respectively. Take my word for it when I say these puddings contain plenty of stout and whiskey!

Listons Food Store, Camden Street

A pricey, but delicious, pudding made by customers of the Camden St store. This pud is dense, rich and fruity and retails for €20.99. The perfect pudding if you are looking to impress that someone special.