Irish and UK Academics are Better Together

Brexit shouldn't divide the academic ties that bind us, writes the Vice-Chancellor of Bangor University.

John HughesOp-Ed Contributor
Blaithin Wilson for The University Times

Brexit is a daily topic of debate and media coverage in the UK, and whilst many are worried about what will happen, it is clear that as things stand the UK will be leaving the EU.

I am the President and Vice-Chancellor of Bangor University in Wales, the nearest UK University for most people in Ireland, located just 30 minutes from the port of Holyhead. We have numerous connections to Ireland including a long tradition of Irish students coming to Bangor, as well as strong research links and a number of Irish staff, of which I am one.

I am hopeful that the close ties between Ireland and Wales will remain after Brexit is finalised, but there is little doubt that there will be significant changes on both sides of the Irish Sea. The UK is of course a vital market for Irish businesses, and workers and students have been traveling between Ireland and the UK for decades. Time will tell to what extent this will change as a result of Brexit, but whatever happens, things are likely to be very different.

I can imagine, for example, some Irish companies establishing a base in Wales as a solution to any future trade restrictions and import tariffs into the UK. Similarly, there are opportunities for UK companies to do likewise in Ireland in order to access the EU.

It is likely that it will be some time before we know with certainty what the implications of the decision to leave the EU will be

It could be an attractive proposition as there would be no linguistic barrier, and travelling is relatively easy – a couple of hours from Bangor University, and you’re in Dublin. Whilst the practicalities of shipping may be an issue for some sectors, it would be less of an issue in the service sector, which is a major part of the UK economy.

Then there are the opportunities for students and young people. Interestingly, research has shown that younger people in the UK were more likely to vote “Remain” in the referendum, and populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote “Leave”. In other words, students (generally young) and graduates (higher qualifications) were more likely to have wanted to remain in the EU.

Of course, it is likely that it will be some time before we know with certainty what the implications of the decision to leave the EU will be. We can expect a period of uncertainty which may last for years rather than months. However, in the meantime, existing employment, residence and other rights remain in place.

UK universities are still world-renowned, internationally competitive and a major economic asset, generating an annual output of €82 billion for the British economy. They generate over 750,000 jobs and around €12 billion of export earnings annually. The UK’s scientific research institutions are ranked second in the world for quality. With only 0.9 per cent of the world’s population, the UK produces 15.9 per cent of the world’s most highly-cited articles.

I am hopeful that this level of academic quality can be maintained, and that the opportunities for cooperation between Wales and Ireland will also continue. There may well be different rules and regulations, but whilst the UK is leaving the EU, it is not leaving Europe. Bangor University is certainly determined to continue with its close ties with Ireland and our doors will remain open to future cooperation, be that for students or staff to come to Bangor or for joint research projects of which we have many.

There will be opportunities for some to thrive, but those that do not adapt and think in new ways may struggle to do so

All of us therefore, and particularly students, will need to make the best of Brexit. There will be opportunities for some to thrive, but those that do not adapt and think in new ways may struggle to do so.

A university education however, is all about broadening the mind, challenging existing thinking, and pursuing new opportunities. Attending a university, making the most of your time there, and participating as much as possible in university life will provide you with the skills and knowledge to thrive.

At times, it may be difficult to see the opportunities, but in the same way that Irish and Welsh football supporters will (eventually) get over the disappointment of the World Cup qualifying campaign, there will be many great opportunities and adventures ahead for both countries following Brexit. Who the Welsh and the Irish decide to support at the World Cup on the other hand, may require another article.

Prof John G Hughes is the President and Vice-Chancellor of Bangor University.