Trinity’s Footballers Avoid Relegation After Stalemate

A 1–1 draw against NUI Galway on Tuesday ensured that Richie Maguire’s side will feature in the top tier of intercollegiate football next season.

Jonathan FischerSenior Staff Writer

In their last fixture of this year’s Colleges and Universities Football League, Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) fought hard against NUI Galway and reaped the reward by avoiding relegation. The game kicked off in Dangan at 2pm in cold, but dry, conditions.

As the game got underway, the tension was immediately felt as both teams were fighting to avoiding last place in the table and dropping out of the top tier of college football. NUI Galway (NUIG) needed a win to stay afloat while DUAFC had enough points to be able to settle for a draw.

Trinity got off on the front foot, scoring midway through the first half after having missed a few chances. Right back Brian Foley completed a mazy run down the line and was able to put a cross into the box. After a string of passes Ronan Hanaphy, who has recently returned from injury, was able to coolly place the ball in the back of the net from just outside the six-yard box.

As the half continued, DUAFC had one or two half chances but lacked the finishing touch. Hanaphy was taken down when he was through on goal, but the referee failed to produce a red card. NUIG’s players were lucky to concede nothing more than a yellow card and a free kick from just outside the box.

For most of the first half, Trinity’s opponent’s attacks were direct and easily dealt with by DUAFC’s defence. NUIG failed to be a real threat and never managed to create more than half chances. The first half ended with DUAFC one goal ahead.

The second half was uneventful for the first 20 minutes, with both teams failing to bring the ball past the centre circle into the other team’s half. However, NUIG managed to place a free kick in DUAFC’s box, resulting in a goalmouth scramble. This broke the deadlock of DUAFC’s defence and NUIG managed to get on the scoresheet.

From then on, NUIG’s players continued to put on the pressure and float long balls towards DUAFC’s goal. However, they were not able to follow through and DUAFC managed to create three chances from counter-attacks. The NUIG keeper did well to stop DUAFC from scoring another.

The game, which was dominated by DUAFC for the most part, ended 1–1. DUAFC successfully managed to remain in the top flight of the league, yet at a cost. Both Hanaphy and Muhanned Bukhatwa had to come off injured and Robbie Gaul suffered a knock too but saw the game through until the end. The team were delighted to have avoided relegation, though with the chances the team had, DUAFC could perhaps have grabbed a win.