Queen’s See Off Travelling Trinity in Purcell Cup

A second-half masterclass allowed Queen's University Belfast to see off a hard-working Trinity side on Wednesday.

Matthew MurphyAssistant Sports Editor
Trinity GAA

A travelling Trinity camogie team fell to defeat by 13 points at the hands of Queen’s University Belfast (Queen’s) on Wednesday. Coming into the game on the back of defeats to Carlow IT and Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT), Shane Noonan’s side were hoping to get their Purcell Cup campaign back on track with a win over a well-fancied Queen’s side. However, the visitors ultimately suffered a 3-11 to 0-07 defeat, with solid organisation forming the basis of the home side’s victory.

It was Queen’s who started quickest, claiming the opening score of the game before racing into an early lead when they found the net, as the ball was blasted past Trinity goalkeeper, Kayleigh Veale.

Undeterred, Trinity rallied, with joint captain Rosanna McAleese impressing as she tracked back from midfield, while Naoise Irwin and Niamh Horan were excelling in their roles at wing back. Dublin All-Star, Aisling Maher, kept Trinity just about in touch with a number of well-taken frees in quick succession after what the referee adjudged to be overly physical play from the Queen’s defence.

As half-time approached, both sides were proving evenly matched, with neither team able to gain the upper hand in midfield, from where most attacks were being launched. Despite this, Trinity were asking questions of the Queen’s defence when attacking, with Maher in particular posing a threat to the home side.

As the second half dawned, Queen’s quickly gained the upper hand despite Trinity’s attempts to put the home side under pressure. Looking impressive in the tackle, simple errors were costing Trinity, and Queen’s soon capitalised, extending their lead with two well-taken goals and building up a 12-point lead midway through the second half.

Despite this, Trinity pushed hard, and a last-minute, long-range effort by Louise O’Shea put the home side under slight pressure as it dropped narrowly wide. Nevertheless, the hosts never looked overly troubled and in the end ran out comfortable winners.

With one game remaining in the group for Trinity, they will host a talented NUI Galway side on February 6th, with the team hoping to end a testing season on a high note.