Five Dumplings Under A Tenner

With the Year of the Dog underway, these places are perfect for when that Chinese cuisine craving hits.

Lorna ReidFood Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

Happy Year of the Dog! Chinese astrology is based on a 12-year cycle, so if you were born in 1994, then you too are a dog, in the most inoffensive way possible. This article should probably come with a disclaimer since dumplings are generally less than €10. However, given that the dumpling is one of the most important foods in the Chinese New Year, it was only fitting that we have something related to dumplings. Enjoy the best Dublin has to offer below.

M&L Chinese, Cathedral St, just off O’Connell St

A mecca of Chinese cuisine, M&L does traditional chicken or vegetable dumplings, but the highlight has to be the steamed pork dumplings, perfectly steamed and bursting with flavour. Rumour has it that M&L has a secret menu for its regulars which has a much wider selection of dishes. If that isn’t incentive to go there, I do not know what is. The restaurant itself is a bit inconspicuous and can be hard to find, but will definitely be worth the hassle.

Banyi Japanese Dining, Temple Bar

From the title you will see that Banyi is technically a Japanese restaurant, but we here at Radius do not discriminate and are inclusive of all dumplings. There also is the fact that Banyi do really good gyoza. Gyoza are slightly smaller and more delicate than their Chinese cousin but are simply delicious. Banyi’s are pan-fried and filled with chicken.

The Lucky Tortoise

A newbie to the Dublin food scene, The Lucky Tortoise has already amassed a small, dedicated cult following. Located before Christmas in Hobart’s Café in Ranelagh, the owners are currently on the search for a new premises. Though I have only had the pleasure of enjoying a Lucky Tortoise dumpling once, I have not so much as touched a dumpling since for fear of disappointment. They do both traditional and modern style dumplings that are just so tasty.

Yamamori, South Great Georges St

The Starbucks of the Asian food scene, but who says there’s anything wrong with being mainstream? Pork is the traditional filling in the gyoza context and I, much like my beloved friend Anthony Bourdain, have a fondness for pork. Some may say it is a marriage made in heaven. I, however, put it down to their “unfalteringly-good gyoza”.

Musashi, Capel St & the IFSC

As with all of the restaurants listed there is so much more on Musashi’s menu beyond dumplings, but in my humble opinion, it is a good place to start. Choose from a selection of pork, chicken, prawn and yasai (vegetable) gyoza. The chilli, garlic, and soya dip accompanying the gyoza deserves special mention and is worth a taste. This restaurant is very reasonably priced and, even better, operates with a BYOB system.