Prepare for Kendrick Lamar at the 3Arena

After a year that saw him cement his status as one of the greats, Lamar will take to the stage as one of the most anticipated acts this year.

Andrew ConnollyDeputy Music Editor

Compton-based rapper Kendrick Lamar plays 3Arena on February 7th, in what is one of the most eagerly awaited, in-demand shows of the year.

This incredibly hyped show marks Lamar’s first Irish concert since the release of DAMN., his 2017 chart-topping album, which cemented his place at the top of the rap charts, both commercially and artistically. While already a big name in hip hop, Lamar’s last Irish show was a headlining spot at Longitude 2016, by which time he had won seven Grammy Awards, 2017 served to propel Lamar to the very top of the musical food chain.

Since releasing his major label debut album, good kid, M.A.A.D City, in 2012, Lamar’s ability to tackle social and political issues with pointed honesty and sincerity, without being preachy or prosaic, matches the talent of hip hop gods like Tupac, Dr Dre and Nas. Lamar has long been hailed as the latest rapper to challenge the title of Greatest Of All Time.

Releasing his sophomore effort in 2015, the expansive To Pimp A Butterfly’s mix of social commentary and personal reflection, set against jazz and funk in a style reminiscent of 1990s alternative rap, became Lamar’s inarguable claim to the throne of hip hop. To Pimp A Butterfly remains a high watermark for modern rap music, shedding new light on many people’s views on race politics in America, relationships and the dangers of fame, whilst also giving us unmitigated bangers like “Alright” and “King Kunta”.

Following on from this, in true Lamar fashion, last year’s DAMN. is a mainstream commercial success. Doubling down on accessibility, Lamar has stormed nightclubs and Spotify playlists worldwide with tracks like “DNA”, “LOYALTY” and song of the year “HUMBLE”, whilst fending off claims of selling out with cerebral tracks like “FEEL”, “PRIDE” and “DUCKWORTH”. It seems Lamar’s version of selling out is better than many achieve in entire careers spent keeping it “real”.

Now more than ever, Lamar’s back catalogue has swelled to reach new heights. Tracks that get people moving, like “Money Trees” and “Backyard Freestyle”, mixed with the hair-raising gangster stare down that is “M.A.A.D City” and the alcohol-soaked warning that is “Swimming Pools (Drank)”, a Kendrick Lamar show is a work of art that lucky ticket holders will remember for years to come.

Kendrick Lamar will be playing Dublin’s 3Arena, February 7th. Tickets €90, doors opening at 6pm.