Blue Hare and Breakfast

Boasting a range of options, Eatyard's eggy favourite returns.

Christina AndersonContributing Writer

Re-opening after a long Christmas break and after dealing with some snow-related setbacks, the return of Eatyard was highly anticipated. A hubbub of food stalls, music and quirky decorations, Eatyard expertly mixes the fun of festival food with a high level of quality and choice. Located on Richmond St, this culinary delight is less than 10 minutes outside of the city centre, meaning you don’t need to go far to get some really tasty food.

It’s not surprising to note that brunch has long been a buzzword in Dublin’s culinary scene, with versions of avocado toast and pancakes popping up all over the city. Nestled in a corner of Eatyard, there is a stand that celebrates the staple component of any brunch – the modest egg.

Founded by Julie O’Mahony, Blue Hare Eggs boasts its own take on the classic egg sandwich. Served in a brioche bun, you can enjoy your fried egg and cheese sandwich with either bacon or sausage, or even a vegetarian option. Other choices include Blue Hare’s perfected baked egg with spicy tomato and feta, or the newest addition, turmeric fried eggs with garlic yogurt and sourdough (which I can personally vouch for). All of these can be purchased with freshly-squeezed orange juice, an ideal brunch experience.

O’Mahony left behind seven years in the food-and-drink advertising industry when she decided she wanted to work with food directly. Blue Hare Eggs was the brainchild of those many years of experience, and came from her desire to work with something that she “eats everyday” yet can still adapt in many different ways. Originally based in a pop-up in Lock 6 Cafe, Blue Hare’s new home in Eatyard is an exciting prospect. O’Mahony is looking forward to the opportunities and challenges that will come with it.

Blue Hare Eggs opens from 12pm in the morning until late in the evening, meaning that you can enjoy this breakfast favourite anytime of the day! And from my own experience I must say that there’s something very special about eating an egg sandwich at night, surrounded by friends and some good music. Just within reach of Trinity, this eggcellent treat and quirky all-day brunch option is well worth making the trek to try.