Five Under €10: Pints of Guinness

These places should be on the list of anyone planning a St Patrick's Day pub crawl.

Lorna ReidFood & Drink Editor

Given that Dublin is the “home of the black stuff” and that our national holiday is only a day away, it seems appropriate that we highlight the best of Arthur Guinness. Additionally, the next time an American tourist demands to know where the best place for a pint of Guinness is, you can feign knowledge by pointing them beyond the Gravity Bar in the Guinness Storehouse. As a rule of thumb, Guinness does not travel well, so the nearer the storehouse, the better. Essentially anywhere that is busy and has a good run on the keg is a safe bet for a good pint, so if others are drinking Guinness in the pub, this is a good sign. However, do not become complacent – a very good pint of Guinness can be hard to find in Dublin. Read on to discover the best offerings around town.

Toners, Baggot St

We are not ones to buy in to hype, but Toners has repeatedly been hailed as providing the best pint of Guinness in Dublin. Perhaps it is the combination of one of the city’s best smoking areas and the temptation of the pizza-pint deal with Cirillo’s next door that makes Toners’ pints that little bit sweeter than the rest. A pint costs €5.20.

The Stag’s Head, Dame Court

Ranked as serving the best pint in town by several devoted Guinness-drinking friends, The Stag’s Head is a traditional pub offering a cosy snug to sit back in and enjoy your pint. While the atmosphere may not please all, a good pint of Guinness will. Your chances of being served a light, creamy pint of the black stuff here is almost guaranteed. €5.20 a pint.

The Harold House, Upper Clanbrassil St

Somewhat of an institution, it is perhaps not surprising that Harold House has mastered the perfect Guinness. Located slightly outside the city centre, it is an ideal location for anyone living near Griffith College. Admittedly, the exterior is somewhat dingy, but inside, where it matters, the glasses sparkle, the taps are clean and the barmen know how to pour a proper pint. €4 during the day, €4.40 from 10pm onwards.

Grogan’s, South William’s St

A fantastic central pub opposite Pygmalion that features a great outdoor seating area for people-watching. It is hard to beat on a sunny evening with a velvety pint in one hand and a renowned Grogan’s toastie in the other. While a number of Guinness drinkers say that Grogan’s serves the best pint on South William St, this claim could also be down to the unique traditional atmosphere that the pint compliments. €5.10.

The Library Bar, The Central Hotel, Exchequer St

Hailed by a couple of reliable old men I surveyed as “Dublin’s best kept secret!”, The Library Bar must not to be overlooked. The barmen are experienced and there is a lot of draw on their taps meaning that the pints are not left resting in the pipes for long. The Library Bar makes a more quaint atmosphere than the likes of Toners, creating the perfect setting to enjoy a rich and creamy pint. €5.20.