Provost Praises Estates and Facilities Storm Emma Efforts

Provost Patrick Prendergast praised those who worked throughout Storm Emma to maintain the campus for residents.

Niamh HerbertJunior Editor
Dominic McGrath for The University Times

In an email to staff and students, the Provost, Patrick Prendergast, thanked Estates and Facilities for their hard work over the past few days.

“With the snow melting and the campus now open again, I would like to thank everybody who was involved in keeping the College Community safe over the past few days”, said Prendergast in his email, mentioning that “considerable effort was put into ensuring the paths were gritted and clear of snow”.

While lectures and classes were cancelled, and students remained at home, Prendergast praised that the “many staff from Estates and Facilities and other parts of College made their way onto the campus to look after students and other residents despite the difficult conditions. I’m sure everybody agrees with me that their efforts are much appreciated”.

Similarly, an email from the Secretary’s Office also thanked Estates and Facilities for its hard work during the storm.

The campus closed on Wednesday afternoon as snow began to fall, and remained closed during the snowstorm until 10am on Sunday. Residents were the only ones who were allowed on campus during this time. Estates and Facilities employed diggers and used salt to clear walkways for those entering and leaving the campus.

In an email sent to residents, the Accommodation Office told students that “Front Gate will be the only entrance to the campus”, alongside the entrance to Goldsmith, and “no vehicles may be brought on campus”. The campus was closed off to the public for the duration of the snowstorm, including tourist attractions like the Science Gallery and the Book of Kells exhibition.

Last year, when Storm Ophelia came, it left Estates and Facilities admitting that dealing with a powerful storm was new for them. Today, the campus is open for business, with classes and lectures running normally.