Science Gallery Re-Opens After Gas Leak

The gas leak occurred this morning.

Alanna MacNameeSenior Staff Writer

The Science Gallery re-opened safely this morning, following a gas leak that forced its closure.

On Twitter, at 8am this morning, Trinity tweeted: “Science Gallery & CRANN are closed at the moment due to a gas leak. Dublin Fire Brigade are due in at 9am to inspect the building and it is hopeful the building will reopen later this morning. Please monitor here for updates.”

The Pearse St building, which attracts tourists, staff and students alike, re-opened this morning. On Twitter, Trinity confirmed it has re-opened safely at 10.40am.

A safety inspection by Dublin Fire Brigade took place at 9am to determine when the buildings could be reopened for use.

The Naughton Institute building, in which both the Centre for Research on Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices (CRANN) and the Science Gallery are located, also plays host to a Science Foundation Ireland-funded Advanced Materials and BioEngineering Research (AMBER) centre. It opened in 2008.

Last year, UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson paid a visit to the world-leading research centres.

The Science Gallery aims to promote science outreach as well as facilitate cross-disciplinary co-operation in the form of art-science collaborations. It is a popular tourist attraction, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors annually. The gallery holds a large programme of events, exhibitions and workshops aimed at engaging young adults with science and technology. The current exhibition is entitled “FAKE” and will run until June 3rd.