There’s No Time to Lose. Let’s Stand Together for Yes

Annie Hoey urges people to get out there and campaign for the repeal of the eighth amendment.

Annie HoeyColumnist
Guy Boggan for The University Times

Care, compassion and change: this is the premise of the Together For Yes campaign. Together For Yes is a unified, national campaign for a ‘yes’ vote in the upcoming referendum on the eighth amendment, bringing together a broad-based alliance of organisations representing the diversity of life in Ireland.

On May 25th, we will be asked as a nation to make a democratic decision about the kind of society we want to live in. We have the option of continuing the way we are, with the eighth amendment intact, or to vote to remove it and allow our legislature to regulate safe and legal abortions in Ireland. The issue is complex, and it will require careful consideration.

It is no secret that I am campaigning to remove the eighth amendment. I believe it has done irreparable harm to women and their families, and I think we as a society are ready to right the wrong that was done in 1983. I have listened to the testimonies from people who were forced out of this country to seek compassionate medical care. I have friends who have illegally imported and taken abortion pills, all alone and without the support of their doctors. Abortions are happening in Ireland. We are now faced with the decision about whether or not we want them to be conducted in secrecy and with shame, or with the support and advice of doctors.

We know that abortions are needed for a multitude of reasons, all of which are deeply personal and private. Crisis pregnancies happen, and women need support in deciding whether or not to continue the pregnancy. In order to truly make an informed decision, a woman needs to be able to openly and freely discuss her options. International evidence indicates that when you allow abortion, combined with comprehensive sex education and accessible and affordable contraceptives, the rates of abortion goes down. I honestly believe that if we truly want to reduce the number of abortions in Ireland, we need to remove the eighth amendment, introduce secular sex and relationship education and provide free contraceptives to anyone who wants them.

There are also all the terribly sad stories of very much-wanted pregnancies that end due to a diagnosis of a fatal foetal abnormality. I implore anyone who has concerns about what will happen after May 25th to listen to the testimonies from families who have had a termination for medical reasons. A crucial aspect of the campaign is to inform the public that the eighth amendment does not only impact crisis pregnancies, but also ones that are wanted.

I implore anyone who has concerns about what will happen after May 25th to listen to the testimonies from families who have had a termination for medical reasons.

At the launch of Together For Yes, Gaye and Gerry Edwards, members of Termination For Medical Reasons, told of their experience of a fatal foetal diagnosis and having to travel to Belfast in order to induce their labour early. To a room deeply moved by their heartbreaking testimony, Gerry said: “We have moved on from dropping pregnant women at the laundries, and as a society we need to move on from dropping them at the departure gates, too … We are calling on all women and men to move away from our shameful legacy of abandonment and to take this opportunity to share a caring, compassionate society that better reflects who we are as a people.”

We also need to take into consideration that the eighth amendment has a huge impact on the ability of doctors to treat patients in the best way possible. Recently Dr Rhona Mahony, Master of the National Maternity Hospital, joined the Together For Yes campaign. Reflecting on life as a consultant obstetrician operating under the provisions of the eighth amendment, she said that medical decisions are made “under the shadow” of a criminal sentence for doctors. When asked for an example of when the eighth amendment affected health, she brought up the “horrific” case where the life support of clinically dead pregnant woman was kept pending the outcome of a High Court decision. She said “this was a direct consequence of the eighth amendment because what you had here was a conflict between the actual clinical situation and the risk and the balance of rights”.

We need to live in a country where doctors can treat patients to the best of their ability, and where the woman and her health is at the centre of care.

If you agree with the campaign and want to get involved, you can sign up to Together For Yes or join a local canvassing group and talk to people about why you want change.

Over the next few weeks, there is an opportunity to learn about the impact of the eighth amendment. You can read real life stories on In Her Shoes and Everyday Stories. If you agree with the campaign and want to get involved, you can sign up to Together For Yes or join a local canvassing group and talk to people about why you want change.

Most importantly, get informed. I believe that on May 25th, Irish people will vote for a change. We will vote to remove the eighth amendment because we know that right now a personal and private decision needs public support. We will vote for a country that shows compassion and care to women in need. We will vote yes.