O’Mahony Appoints Staff, Naming Donal MacNamee Deputy Editor

Outgoing Opinion Editor Ciannait Khan and outgoing News Editor Kathleen McNamee will serve as assistant editors.

Jack SynnottDeputy News Editor
Members of this year's staff at the USI Student Achievement Awards.
USI

Eleanor O’Mahony, the Editor of The University Times, has appointed Donal MacNamee, the paper’s outgoing Sports Editor, as Deputy Editor. MacNamee, who previously served as a senior staff writer, acted as Assistant Editor during the period of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) elections earlier this year.

Commenting on his appointment, O’Mahony said: “I am thrilled to be working with such an incredibly talented and versatile journalist and a great leader. Over the last year, as sports editor, he has run one of the most successful sections in the paper, raising the game and fostering an enthusiastic and capable team under him.”

“He is astute in his editing and he takes great initiative in his reporting, having this year broken an unprecedented amount of high-level sports news stories”, she said.

O’Mahony has appointed Kathleen McNamee and Ciannait Khan as assistant editors. McNamee, a fourth-year law student, is the outgoing News Editor and has previously served as Features Editor.

“Kathleen is one of the most hardworking of The University Times’s journalists. She has extensive editorial experience and she puts her all into everything she does. Her knowledge of every aspect of College life and her cross-section experience put her in a great position to serve as assistant editor”, said O’Mahony.

Khan, who is currently studying for a master’s in film, served as this year’s Opinion Editor. Discussing her contribution to the paper, O’Mahony said: “Ciannait came on board this year after a couple of years abroad and we were blown away. She is, first and foremost, a phenomenal writer and very discerning editor. Her creative abilities, as well as her experience developing a wide-ranging section this year mean that she has so much to offer at a senior level.”

“I’m so delighted that I have two extremely capable women on my senior masthead, making this the first year where there is a majority of women at the most senior level of the paper”, she added.

Third-year law student Aisling Marren will take on the role of News Editor. Marren previously served as Assistant News Editor for the paper and edited the coverage of this year’s Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) elections. “Aisling wrote some stellar pieces in the news section this year, covering topics ranging from technological universities to the arts block as a grim workplace. She is naturally adept and extremely passionate about news and I’m very excited to see her take the coverage to new levels”, said O’Mahony.

Second-year mathematics student Aoife Kearins will assume the role of Features Editor. Kearins served as a senior staff writer this year, and led the paper’s coverage of the JCR elections. Discussing her work with the paper, O’Mahony said: “From reporting on developments in TCDSU, to writing truly evocative opinion pieces to delving into little-known experiments going on in Trinity, Aoife can do it all. I can’t wait to see her put her own stamp on the features section.”

Matt Murphy, a fourth-year law student, will serve as Opinion Editor. Murphy was this year’s Assistant Sports Editor. “Matt is a fantastic writer who has dived head first into the opinion section. He has a deep understanding of the goings-on in College, from student politics to higher education policy. Publishing a variety of opinions in the section is of paramount importance to him and I have no doubt that the section will expand and improve under his watch”, said O’Mahony.

Taking over from MacNamee as Sports Editor is this year’s Deputy Sports Editor, Cormac Watson. O’Mahony said: “Cormac’s passion for what he does is unrivalled. He is hardworking and focussed and he will continue to push the sports coverage further and further to include quirkier and more in-depth analysis pieces.”

Ellen McLean will edit The University Times Magazine. A fourth-year law student, McLean has previously served as Deputy Features Editor. Meanwhile, Radius will next year be edited by former Deputy Copy Editor Katy Amos.

The position of Irish Language Editor will be filled by Eoin O’Hare, who will also sit on the Editorial Board of the paper as part of his role. Bill Jennings, a final-year business and French student will take on the role of Advertising and Business Director.

Jake Gilchrist, the outgoing Social Media Editor, will use his knowledge of the paper to take on the role of Editor-At-Large. Ben Morrison, a third-year zoology student, will serve as Photo Editor, after doing extensive work for the section over the past year.

After serving as this year’s Magazine Editor, fourth-year mathematics and English student Bláithín Wilson will take over as Special Projects Editor. Celeste Dougherty will take over from Maren Reeder as the paper’s Copy Editor, while illustrations will be helmed by Jack Smyth.

Izzy Rowley will take over as Podcast Editor, having this year served as Deputy Podcast Editor. Aoifé McColgan, a third-year English and film student, will take on the role of Social Media Editor.

Edmund Heaphy, a former Editor of The University Times, will continue in his role as Chair of the Editorial Board. The role will see Heaphy, who founded the paper’s editorial board, oversee the weekly publication of two editorials. Heaphy, who is a student of philosophy and Jewish and Islamic civilisations, has worked for the New York Times, Quartz, RTÉ and the Sunday Business Post.

Speaking about the departure of Dominic McGrath, the outgoing Editor of the ninth volume of The University Times, O’Mahony said that it’s “not only a loss to the paper but a loss to the student movement. Dominic always took his duty to students extremely seriously and put his whole self into chasing down stories and providing such a high-quality service for students”.

McGrath was named journalist of the year at this year’s Union of Students in Ireland (USI) Student Achievement Awards. During his time at the paper, McGrath lead coverage of everything from the Take Back Trinity protests to Katie Ascough’s impeachment as UCDSU President.

“His knowledge of higher education funding is second to none and he always fought for the important stories, regardless of any resistance or apparent lack of interest”, said O’Mahony.

“I feel very privileged to have worked side by side with such a talented journalist and editor and I would work with him again in a heartbeat. I know he will go on to achieve wonderful things in the world of journalism.”

O’Mahony also commented on the departure of some long-standing team members from the paper. She praised the work of Roisín Power, the outgoing Assistant Editor and former News Editor of the paper: “Róisín’s reporting will go down in The University Times’s history. She is an inspiring and fearless women who works tirelessly to uncover the truth and we have all learned so much from her. We are sorry to see her go but I have no doubt that she will excel in her career.”

O’Mahony also paid tribute to outgoing Radius Editor, Ciara Haley: “Ciara came on board sort of last minute last year with no Radius experience but with a rake of cultural journalism experience. She really rose to the challenge and made Radius her own. She injected creativity and energy into Radius, covering more unknown corners of the Dublin and Trinity cultural scene.”

Senior Editor and Former Deputy News Editor Niamh Egleston is also leaving the staff. Throughout her time on the staff, Egleston closely covered the referendum on the eighth amendment and gender equality in the College. Speaking about her departure, O’Mahony said: “Niamh is so passionate about uncovering the truth, particularly about any inequalities or injustices she sees. Her drive to ensure these issues were covered inspired us all and she will leave a gap in the news team.”

Outgoing Illustrations Editor Stephen Paul Paclibar, who previously served as Deputy Illustrations Editor will be leaving the staff. “Stephen really brought our pieces to life with his memorable illustrations. He is full of creativity and enthusiasm and he will be very much missed”, said O’Mahony.

O’Mahony hired over 40 other editors. The staff of the tenth volume of The University Times formally took over today.