Four Trinity Projects Awarded €1.5m Prestigious ERC Grants

Trinity has received more of these esteemed grants than any other Irish college.

Muireann Nic CorcráinJunior Editor

Four new projects led by Trinity researchers have each secured funding of €1.5 million from European Research Council’s (ERC) starting grants. The grants are awarded on the basis of scientific excellence and are extremely sought after in research communities.

The projects funded by these grants will explore the initiation of technological support required long term to sustain a child’s life, and will investigate the genetics of human evolution and disease.

Trinity’s Dean of Research, Prof Linda Doyle, congratulated the recipients on their achievement in a press statement, saying the award truly reflected the standard of research within Trinity: “It is important for Trinity and for Ireland to have such wonderful and diverse early-career talent leading the way.”

Doris Alexander, the College’s Research Development Manager, said: “We are delighted that Trinity continues to be a strong member of the ERC family of grantees, leading out nationally in this programme”.

Chemlife, a materials science project that will develop new bio-inspired microscopic vehicles using advanced 3D fabrication technologies won funding and will be led by Dr Larisa Florea.

Dr Maria Brenner of the School of Nursing & Midwifery was granted funding for TechChild, that will examine technology dependence in children with complicated care needs.

REACT is also being funded under the scheme. The project will be led by Prof Eduardo Ruiz-Hernandez and aims to impact the targeted release of diagnostic agents and drugs with nanomedicines that respond to biological cues or changing pathophysiological conditions

Trinity has now received 24 ERC grants under EU Horizon 2020 funding programme – more than any other institution in Ireland. The College is also ranked 33rd out of more than 1500 institutions worldwide for funding received under the programme.