Long Live the Radio Star, at Dublin Podcast Festival

Dublin Podcast Festival celebrates the golden age of podcasting, offering enthusiasts to see podcasts normally reserved for their ears.

Niamh MurphyContributing Writer

In 1979, with the release of hit single “Video Killed the Radio Star”, The Buggles successfully captured a cataclysmic shift from the audio to the visual, an impressive feat of prescience. The Buggles, however, still failed to predict the rise of the podcast. Contrary to the belief of the new-wave English band, audio-only forms of entertainment were never actually killed off, but remodelled for our increasingly impatient and fast-moving society. While radio died for Generation Z due to its lack of portability and availability on demand, podcasts provide a perfect successor to the medium of radio.

Arguably we are living through the golden age of podcasts, with people of all ages granted instant access to a variety of free content via the internet – and there is still demand for more. The Dublin Podcast Festival, which began on Wednesday and runs until October 17th, will offer podcast enthusiasts the chance to feast their eyes on those who have until now provided content exclusively for our ears.

One of the most highly anticipated events is the Blindboy Podcast, hosted by Blindboy Boatclub of the Rubberbandits in Vicar Street on October 7th. Blindboy touches on topical issues such as mental health, short fiction, interviews and comedy in an unrehearsed and frank manner, resulting in a podcast with a uniquely personal feel.

Another podcast coming to life in the Tivoli Theatre on September 29th is It Galz, hosted by Jenny Claffery and Lindsey Hamilton. With podcasts titled “Are We Slutz?” and “Hey Ireland! Why Can’t We Have Abortionz?”, the ability of the podcast’s creators to tackle feminist issues in a lighthearted manner has helped them to runaway recent success. In their first episode, Claffery and Hamilton joke that they have always craved an audience and the podcast successfully creates the illusion that the listener is an important component to their already hilarious dynamic.

Those Conspiracy Guys, a podcast that takes a lighthearted look at all types of conspiracy theories, will be taking the stage on October 9th in The Sugar Club. The podcast focuses on one conspiracy theory per episode, with topics ranging from the disappearance of Madeleine McCann to the potential existence of mermaids. The podcast succeeds in being informative without ever turning dull, and is a must-listen if you want to contemplate some of the world’s biggest mysteries.

On October 5th, the Sound House will hold The Echo Chamber and What Am Politics?, two political podcasts aimed at making politics more accessible to the general public. Tony Groves and Martin McMahon, the hosts of The Echo Chamber, describe their podcast as a “news, politics and culture podcast that doesn’t take itself too seriously”, and so the evening is sure to promise political discussion but not at the expense of humour.

With prices ranging from an affordable €10 to €28, Dublin Podcast Festival is the perfect event to discover new talent to brighten up your commute home from college.