Roddy Doyle on Getting Older, New Work and His Favourite Characters

The much-loved writer came to speak to the Phil yesterday.

Nadine FitzpatrickDeputy Societies Editor
Alana O'Sullivan for The University Times

Yesterday, much-loved Irish writer Roddy Doyle received the Gold Medal of Honorary Patronage of the University Philosophical Society (the Phil). Doyle admitted that during his first few years in school he was unable to read. As a result, his mother taught him. Once he began reading, “I’ve never stopped”, he said. Doyle got an inkling to write when he realised that real people wrote the stories he was reading, namechecking Enid Blyton.

Now working on his 12th novel, Doyle admits that the challenge is to write something fresh. He has been approached to do work that appears attractive but it’s been too similar to work he has done in the past and declined. Admitting that it has become more difficult with time to keep his work fresh, he says his appetite is still there. He is already “itching” to start writing another novel.

Doyle enjoys writing scripts – describing it is more of a craft than an art. However, it took him by surprise when his earlier books were adopted for films. The idea for a new film by Doyle, Rosie, came to him after “half-listening” to a radio interview by a woman who was living in emergency hotel accommodation with her family. He is very pleased with the finished result, claiming that it “packs a punch”.

Although uncomfortable to be called a spokesperson for societal issues, what Doyle does admit to having is the ability to write on such issues. “I wouldn’t even describe myself as a spokesperson for myself”, he claimed to rapturous laughter.

“Getting older is dreadful”, Doyle tells the student audience, but admits that despite this, as a writer it is research and that is wonderful. Phil President Sorcha Ryder opened the floor to questions, which Doyle answered patiently and obligingly. Guests discovered that Doyle’s favourite character from his own work is Micko Wallace, “the mad drummer from the Commitments”.

Touchingly, Paula Spencer of his famous The Woman Who Walked Into Doors is never too far from the back of his mind and he often wonders how she is getting on. His favourite characters that aren’t his own are “half the characters in Charles Dickens”, whose work he has read time and time again. Doyle is currently reading Normal People by Sally Rooney. Fans should not expect a memoir. In keeping with his self-deprecating nature, Doyle says “I couldn’t ever imagine sitting down and writing about myself”.