Fresh Fashion Talent Takes Regent House

Dublin's top young designers will be showcasing their work in this year's Young Design Showcase.

Aoife MurrayFashion Editor

Trinity Fashion Society (Fashion Soc) are bringing Dublin’s freshest design talent to the beautiful Regent House for a fourth week fashion showcase this evening. Expect music from DJ Rose Védrinelle as well as a wine and nibbles reception in the Graduate Students’ Union in this free event open to members and non-members alike.

Featuring students and graduates from the National College of Art and Design, the Grafton Academy and Trinity itself, the designer’s work will be on display from 7pm to 9pm. Speaking to The University Times, Lizzie Dunlop, a member of the committee, explains that the response was very positive from designers. The society put out a call on social media for any students making their own clothes, as well as contacting designers they knew. Dunlop highlights that the society wasn’t limiting the showcase to designers, but were also looking for “people who just have an interest in making clothes”.

The showcase is an exciting new event for the Fashion Society, bringing together the blossoming talent that can so easily be lost in the city’s sea of highstreet brands, high-end boutiques, and, as Dunlop mentions, kilo sales. Each designer will have a rail and mannequin to display their work, whether that be two pieces or a mini collection, and a small bio describing how each person got into design. All of this is to encourage conversation, and to inspire people to try and make their own clothes. Dunlop speaks of the ethical and creative advantages of this, and how the society would love to inspire students to get involved in the small but vibrant creative community of student designers that Dublin is home to.

Fashion Soc hope this event will promote their presence in Trinity as a society “based around young creatives”, and pique the interest of people who would perhaps not have considered themselves interested in fashion. So, whether you consider yourself a fashion fan or not be sure to call into Regent House tonight at 7pm to get your finger on Dublin’s fashion pulse.