TCDSU Elections 2019

Hennessy Sanctioned for Breach of Campaign Rules

Daire Hennessy will have to take his campaign offline between 8pm and 10pm this evening.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor
Ben Morrison for The University Times

Daire Hennessy, one of two candidates running to be president of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), has been sanctioned by the Electoral Commission for a breach of campaign rules.

Hennessy will have to take his campaign offline for a two-hour period at 8pm.

In an email statement to The University Times, the Chair of the Electoral Commission, Stephen Sheil, noted the breach of Schedule 3. He also said he was “pleased to say that over 1,300 students voted today”.

Schedule 3 of the TCDSU Constitution outlines all sabbatical election regulations. The Electoral Commission then decides to issue a strike based on the breach in regulation.

Last week, both McCay and McCarthy were sanctioned due to flattering notes posted about them on the popular Facebook page, Trinder.

Donal MacNamee and Luke Rynne Cullen were also sanctioned by the Electoral Commission last week with minor breaches. Rynne Cullen had to take his campaign offline for a short period for making an artist a co-host on his event online. MacNamee’s campaign team wore campaign t-shirts in unauthorised areas, in breach of the rules. Presidential candidate Laura Beston also received a strike prior to the start of the elections. As a result, she was forbidden from launching her online campaign until two hours after other candidates on Monday.

The election period started last Monday, opening with Dining Hall hustings. Canvassing on the ground began on Tuesday, with hustings Tuesday and Thursday evening.

Voting began last night in Halls after the final hustings held in Dartry. Students were able to vote on campus for the first time today and voting will end on Thursday.