Three Universities to Lead New €21m SFI Research Centre

The new centre will train 139 PhD students in applied mathematics, statistics and machine learning.

Robert QuinnStaff Writer

A new Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) centre worth €21 million, Ireland’s largest-ever investment in data science research, is set to be launched by the University of Limerick (UL) in collaboration with University College Dublin (UCD) and Maynooth University.

The centre, which will offer research training in the foundations of data science, will be run by the universities alongside industry partners coordinated by Skillnet Ireland, and will school 139 PhD students in applied mathematics, statistics and machine learning.

The centre was announced by Heather Humphries, the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation, and John Halligan, the Minister for State for Training, Skills, Innovation, Research and Development.

Students will be trained to address challenges in data analytics, privacy and security, smart manufacturing, health and wellbeing.

The centre will also grant students the opportunity to undertake academic placements internationally, allowing students to benefit from the experience of research activities from elite universities abroad.

In a press statement, Prof Ken Duffy, the Director of Maynooth University’s Hamilton Institute for mathematics and sciences, said: “The participation of Skillet Ireland, Irish industry and enterprise, will enable the SFI Centre for Research Training in Foundations of Data Science to create a future-proofed workforce.”

“It will combine foundational training and research in areas of national importance, with bespoke skills that are needed to succeed in business”, he added.

Prof James Gleeson, from UL’s Department of Maths and Statistics, said in a press statement that “graduates from the CRT will positively impact all aspects of Irish society and will become Ireland’s future leaders, innovators, entrepreneurs and employers”.

“Students will get a unique opportunity to work with some of the best researchers and innovative companies working in this area”, said Gleeson.