A Sculptural Re-Imagination of Capitalism at the MART Gallery

Richard Forrest's new sculpture exhibit, A Negative Infinity, reflects on the effects of capitalism on the exhaustion of the human spirit.

Rachael GunningArt Editor

The effects of capitalism, both abstract and material, represent a topic extensively discussed in the current zeitgeist. They’re reconsidered by visual artist Richard Forrest in his most recent body of work. In A Negative Infinity, a title gleaned from the writings of economic geographer David Harvey, Forrest encapsulates the various contradictions and consequences of the economic structure that we adhere to.

The collection of sculptures, presented to the MART Gallery in Rathmines, reflects on the effects of capitalism in terms of both socio-economic disruption and the exhaustion of the human spirit.

Forrest attempts to reimagine capitalism – an overarching economic structure that governs many of our behaviours and choices – as a living, sculptural entity. His ruminations on the nature of the fiscal system led him to consider how capital can be hoarded, redistributed and circulated – something he attempts to convey through the sculptural works displayed in this collection.

Through sculpture, the artist aims to confront the fluctuating fabric of our economic and ecological systems. Their maintainability is questionable, particularly in this era of ecological and climate crisis, where profit still seems to be prioritised above the conservation of biodiversity.

Forrest is known for his colourful, futuristic approach to sculpture and installation. His 2017 exhibition, From the Mouth of Chrysippus, showcased his ability to discuss complex intellectual concepts through physical entities. In this show, Forrest considered the development of language, from ancient Greek to computer coding. It remains to be seen how, in A Negative Infinity, the artist will imagine something as abstract as the system of capitalism in terms of a sculptural work, but his subject matter is certainly clear.

It will be interesting to see whether the artist is able to maintain a consistent narrative through his completion of monumental carving work, and whether or not the figures have any emotional impact beyond their intellectual considerations. In an era of instability and disillusionment, the refashioning of the concept of capitalism into a selection of tangible works is sure to be pertinent.

A Negative Infinity has been facilitated by the Arts Council of Ireland and the exhibition will run from September 26th to November 21st. Admission is free.