Students in New Irish-Language Teaching Degree to Receive €1k Bursary

The government has pledged €5 million to allow 150 students to enrol in a new degree in Trinity's Marino Institute.

Emer MoreauNews Editor

Students enrolled in a new Irish-language primary school teaching degree in Trinity’s Marino Institute will receive a €1,000 bursary for accommodation and travel costs.

Some 36 students attended their induction day in Trinity’s Marino Institute of Education, where they will be the first  teachers ever to have obtained their degree entirely through Irish.

Speaking at the induction day, Minister for Education and Skills Joe McHugh T.D. said: “This is an important day in the history of Irish education. It is a privilege to be with the students and wish them well in their journey to becoming teachers.”

“In a few years”, he continued, “these young graduates will be key to instilling passion for the Irish language in school children, whether that’s in a Gaeltacht primary school or in a Gaelscoil. They will also be key to delivering all of the primary curriculum through Irish”.

In return for the bursary, the students will be required to spend time assisting the Irish Language Officer in Marino Institute of Education to promote the use of Irish among all students.

“The B.Ed. also fulfils a commitment to increase the number of newly-qualified teachers who will deliver a high standard of education in Irish in primary schools. This is a significant step in the implementation of the Policy on Gaeltacht Education 2017–2022”, McHugh said.

The Department of Education and Skills has pledged to invest €5 million to allow 150 students to enrol in the degree over eight years.

In a press statement, president of Marino Institute of Education Dr Teresa O’Doherty said: “Marino Institute of Education is very grateful for the funding provided by the Department of Education and Skills for this Irish-medium B. Ed Programme, a degree which will greatly benefit Irish-medium and Gaeltacht education.”

One third of the students in the degree programme are staying in all-Irish accommodation on campus as part of the college’s residence scheme.

A Gaeltacht Quarter (An Cheathrú Gaeltachta) in the Students’ Space in Marino Institute was also launched today, to allow students to socialise through Irish.

Marino Institute of Education is an associate college of Trinity. Degrees and diplomas from the institute are awarded by the University of Dublin, of which Trinity is the sole constituent.

Earlier this week, Dublin City University (DCU) launched a free online course for learning the basics of the Irish language, as well as some aspects of Irish culture.