‘A Serious Player’: Jerry Flannery Hails DUFC Men’s Ryan Baird

The Trinity lock has impressed while representing Leinster A this season.

Fiachra GallagherSports Editor

Dublin University Football Club (DUFC) Men’s lock Ryan Baird has come in for some kind words this week, after former Irish rugby international Jerry Flannery described him as a “serious player”.

Flannery, who has 41 caps for Ireland, was speaking on Baz and Andrew’s House of Rugby, a podcast series run by JOE.ie.

Flannery, also formerly of Munster, cited Baird’s involvement with Leinster and Ireland under-20s as proof of his potential.

Baird was part of the Ireland under-20 squad that travelled to Argentina this summer for the World Rugby under-20 Championship. He was joined by four other DUFC clubmen – Tom Clarkson, Rob Russell, Liam Turner and Max O’Reilly. Ireland ultimately finished the tournament in eighth place after losing the seventh place play-off to New Zealand. Baird scored one of Ireland’s three tries in that match.

Baird also played a role earlier this year as Ireland’s under-20s won a Six Nations Grand Slam earlier this year. Ireland defeated Wales to claim the championship.

Baird has previously represented Ireland at under-18 Schools and under-19 level.

Baird has not featured for DUFC yet this season due to his involvement with Leinster A in the Celtic Cup.

Baird featured in numerous games last season for DUFC, helping them reach the semi-finals of the All-Ireland League (AIL) Division 1. Baird was absent when DUFC fell to a 23-3 in their last four tie away to Cork Constitution – the side that went on to win the league.

After a poor start to this year, which featured losses to both University College Cork and University College Dublin, Tony Smeeth’s DUFC got their league campaign back on track on Saturday with a convincing 39-17 win over Limerick side Garryowen. Tries from Ronan Quinn, Colm Hogan, James Hickey, Arthur Greene and Russell were enough to help Trinity to a first league win of the season.

In two weeks time they take on Lansdowne away in what will no doubt be a difficult encounter.