TCDSU Sets Up Campaigns Committee

Two students – Ailbhe Owens and Sé Ó hEidhin – were elected to the six-person committee.

Ella ConnollyAssistant News Editor

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has established a new six-person campaigns committee, with elections held for positions on the committee at the union’s council this evening.

Two students – Ailbhe Owens and Sé Ó hEidhin – were elected to the committee at council, leaving four positions unfilled.

This committee has been designed to help oversee campaigns across the campus more effectively.

Speaking at council, TCDSU President Laura Beston described the position as “an opportunity to get involved on campaign committees on campus”.

Beston also said that a position on the campaigns committee is “not a lot of effort, not very taxing and a good way of getting your ideas across”.

In an email statement to The University Times, Beston said: “It is important that the president as head of campaigns works towards representing all relevant student campaigns and including students in these decisions.”

Beston said she hopes that the committee will promote inclusion and allow for better representation in student run campaigns: “By working with more students regularly on these and allowing them a mandated platform to discuss their ideas we hope that it will better student campaigns.”

This new campaigns committee will run the Campaign Support Network. The Campaign Support Network will run in the Arts Block in Room 4050B every Thursday until November 28th.

The network acts as a platform for all those who are interested in activism or campaigns to have their voices heard.

The group’s Facebook page describes it as “a place where students can come together to plan and organise effective student campaigns both on and off campus”.

The page also states: “We hope that this will encourage disengaged students anand those who don’t know how to get involved on board.”

In 2018, students occupied the Dining Hall as part of Take Back Trinity, a campaign against the introduction of supplemental exam fees.

Trinity subsequently backed down on the proposal.