Trinity to Invest in Ream of Supports for Students With Disabilities

The funding comes from a €5.4 million investment in disability support announced by the government today.

Cormac WatsonEditor
Alex Connolly for The University Times.

Trinity has received €482,364 from the government to invest in additional supports for students with disabilities, such as a sensory processing project, an inclusive online technology project and physical access improvements to campus.

The funding comes from a major €5.4 million fund for supporting students with disabilities across the country, announced by Higher Education Minister Simon Harris today.

Trinity intends on using the money to develop a sensory processing project, which would aim to provide students who have sensory processing issues with specialist supports and resources, and to raise awareness among staff about the issue.

College will also seek to make virtual learning more inclusive for students with disabilities, and increase engagement with those students through Trinity’s new global safety and security solution, which aims to improve communications between the university and staff and students.

Finally, Trinity will invest more into making sure that students with disabilities have unobstructed access to all strategic buildings, as well as making sure that entrances to buildings, lecture theatres and laboratories are accessible.

In a press statement, Declan Treanor, the director of the Disability Service, said that the service was “delighted” that its funding application was successful.

He also said that “extensive planning for each of these projects has already taken place and now that funding has been guaranteed, project work can now begin in earnest”.

“The Disability Service will endeavor to keep you up to date with the progress of these projects throughout 2021”, he concluded.

In a press statement, Harris said: “College can be an overwhelming experience but for people with disabilities, it can be extremely daunting.”

“These projects will make a transformational difference to people’s lives.”

“For people with autism, there are autism-friendly rooms being established in nine colleges for when things get overwhelming”, he added. “We are funding projects to make our colleges more accessible.”

Harris said: “We will also fund tactile wayfinding maps, loop systems for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Education is for everyone and people with disabilities need to be supported by their third level institutions.”

“Importantly, we will use some of the funding for training staff and hiring new ones to help students with additional needs.”

The initiatives are designed to improve college campuses and will also assist staff with training and development.