Three Senior TCDSU Members to Run for USI Executive

Education Officer Megan O’Connor, Ents Officer Hugh McInerney and former Oifigeach na Gaeilge Muireann Nic Corcráin have launched campaigns to run for the USI’s elected executive.

Emer MoreauDeputy Editor

Three senior members of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union have launched campaigns to run for positions in the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) executive.

Two of this year’s sabbatical officers, Megan O’Connor and Hugh McInerney, are running for Vice President for Academic Affairs and Vice President for the Dublin Region respectively.

McInerney is the current TCDSU Ents Officer and O’Connor is the current Education Officer.

Muireann Nic Corcráin, a masters student in speech and language processing and a former Oifigeach na Gaeilge in the union, is running for Vice President for the Irish Language.

In an email statement to The University Times, O’Connor said: “Having been involved in the student movement for the last 5 years both here in Trinity and with USI, I’ve been a class rep, an academic senator, the part time officer for off campus students and as the current Education Officer, it seems like a natural transition!”

“I am running for this position because I have loved this work from the minute I started my journey as a representative, and I really want to continue to do this work on a larger scale with USI”, she continued. “This past year has further highlighted the inequalities facing students in higher education.”

“We as students have lost so much, from missing hands on experience in practical courses, working on the front lines during the pandemic, or not getting the same internship or study abroad opportunities as you should have.”

“We need to make up for lost time”, O’Connor continued. “My manifesto focuses on several key priorities including equity and accessibility, digital learning, partnership and representation, institutional and structural reform, higher education funding and empowerment and provision of information.”

“Education is a public good, a public responsibility and it must be publicly funded. I wholeheartedly believe in the power of the student movement and currently, we have the potential to influence and re-define the future of higher education in Ireland.”

McInerney told The University Times in an email: “I know Ents Officers don’t normally run for USI positions, but this has been far from a normal year! Because of COVID-19 I’ve worked far closer with my TCDSU colleagues on a whole host of issues, and I want to use this experience of representing the 18,000 students in Trinity to be the next USI Vice President for the Dublin region.”

“Some of my main policies would be platforming student concerns, connecting the region and continuing the fight for a modern Ireland”, he continued. “USI exists to represent students, and the best way to find out what issues students are facing is to directly ask them. I would hold monthly town halls that any of the more than 72,000 students in the Dublin region can attend.”

“Connecting the region’s sabbatical officers as well as PTOs and class reps would also be a main priority of mine, as the student movement has never been more disconnected as a result of COVID.”

“With the highest third level fees in the EU and the fifth highest rents in Europe, I would also continue the fight for abolishing third level fees and affordable student housing”, McInerney added. “COVID-19 is one of the biggest challenges to ever face this country, and recovering from the pandemic will be an enormous task. The government will be trying to balance the books wherever they can, but we need to let them know higher education is not an option.”

“Instead, now is the time for a publically funded model of higher education that can transform this country and keep Ireland heading in a new direction.”

Nic Corcráin told The University Times: “My main motivation is to create a more equitable space for students to engage with the Irish language and to support Member Organisations as they strive to bring the language into everyday Student Union life.”

“When I came to Trinity five years ago I found my voice and I felt at home within the Irish language community”, she continued. “I believe my experience as Oifigeach na Gaeilge of TCDSU fighting to get the síneadh fada in student IDs in Trinity, and in my recent role as a Student Intern in charge of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion project with the National Student Engagement Programme (NStEP) has allowed me to gain an insight into what is truly meant by creating opportunities for students to engage with An Ghaeilge.”

“My plan of work is solution and resource driven, driving conversation about how we can make the language more accessible for those who have had barriers placed in their way, such as students with disabilities, or anyone whose experience at school level was not the most positive”, Nic Corcráin said.

“From having bilingual signage on campuses in the North and a comprehensive Irish education policy from preschool to university being proposed to the Oireachtas as examples of current campaigns happening across the island of Ireland, great momentum has been built in the past few years. But we need to push forward and let everyone know that we will not stop fighting and lobbying for the Irish language, no matter what barriers are placed in our way.”

Elections for the USI executive will take place online on April 7th.