Record Numbers Apply to Expanded Erasmus+ Programme

Some 7,000 students have opted to take part in the programme this year, up from 5,100 in February 2020.

Cormac WatsonEditor

A record number of people have applied for the Erasmus+ programme over the next two years.

Léargas and the Higher Education Authority today launched the Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps programme, which expands the programme to adult learners and early childhood organisations.

Students can travel abroad to study for varying periods of time – from just a week to as long as a year.

The new programme – which lasts from 2021-2027 – also has a bigger budget than its previous iteration – up to €26.2 billion, compared to €14.7 billion previously.

The increased funding will support study visits, traineeships, volunteering and inter-istitutional collaboration between schools, the further education sector and the higher education sector.

In a press statement, Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris said: “This is a record-breaking year for Erasmus+, with more people than ever applying for the programme. This is despite the uncertainty of the pandemic and Brexit.”
“And this year, for the first time, adult learners will be able to travel for periods of learning. This is a really exciting development in expanding this important programme.”

“It’s wonderful that for the first time adult learners and early childhood organisations will be able to apply for Erasmus+, which further strengthens a more inclusive approach in education.”

“Erasmus+ has opportunities for so many different kinds of people. It is for everyone and I am so pleased the doors are being opened for more to access it”, he added.

In a press statement regarding the launch of the new Erasmus+ programme, EU Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth Mariya Gabriel said: “The fact that the Erasmus+ budget for the next seven years has almost doubled shows the importance given to education, lifelong learning and youth in Europe.”

“Erasmus+ remains a unique programme in terms of its size, scope and global recognition, covering 33 countries, and accessible to the rest of the world through its international activities.”

“I invite all public and private organisations active in the fields of education, training, youth and sport to look at the newly published calls for proposals and apply for funding”, she added. “Thanks to Erasmus+, we will make the European education area a reality.”

The new programme will make it easier for schools, youth associations and sports clubs to apply to Erasmus+. It will also support the development of digital skills and provide blended intensive programmes to mix physical mobility with online learning.

In addition, the new programme will offer financial incentives to participants using sustainable modes of transport and will give 18 year olds the opportunity to get rail passes to travel around Europe.