Over Half of Students Have Struggled with Mental Health During Pandemic

An annual report published by Aontas also showed that 55 per cent of the students struggled with motivation during the pandemic.

Jody DruceDeputy News Editor

Some 59 per cent of students said their mental health has been affected by the pandemic, according to a report from Aontas, Ireland’s national organisation for adult learning.

Nearly 55 per cent of students also said they struggled with motivation or a lack of structure during the pandemic.

The report summarised the findings of virtual focus groups and surveys held by eight regional Education and Training Boards across the country.

Many students surveyed felt that the isolation caused by pandemic-induced restrictions had negatively impacted their mental health and motivation.

One respondent said: “Physical contact with each other was something we all missed. We did keep in contact virtually but it’s not the same.”

Another said: “We’ve lost out on study time. We don’t have the same motivation.”

The challenges associated with online learning appear to have affected certain minority groups to a greater degree than the overall population.

Nearly 70 per cent of both Roma/Traveller respondents and those living in direct provision said their mental health had been affected. Only 38 per cent of Roma or Travellers students said they enjoyed learning at home.

Access to technology and suitable home learning environments were also flagged as key issues.

The report found lone parents particularly “struggled with a comfortable and suitable space to learn”.

One person surveyed said: “I have four children and they are all at home, and all studying too. We just have to get on with it. We have to share phones and a computer, and just take turns.”

Those with disabilities were found to have struggled most with a lack of structure and motivation, with 60 per cent of disabled respondents agreeing they had struggled with the issue.

Despite the challenges endured by many students, approximately 41 per cent of respondents said they enjoyed learning at home.

Nearly 84 per cent of students said they had access to the necessary technology for their course and 77 per cent said they felt supported while learning remotely.

Speaking today to the Oireachtas Education Committee on reopening higher education institutions, Harris said the report “goes to the heart” of why the government wants to get students back on campus.

He added that, while the report highlights the challenges students have faced, many “will be very anxious” about going back to campus.

Last month, the government announced reopening plans for the next semester of college, which include commitments from universities to provide all students with in-person learning.

“It is expected that the majority of the people over 18 in Ireland will have been vaccinated by September 2021, and so planning is proceeding on the basis that full resumption of on-site activity is possible”, the Department of Higher Education said.

Under the reopening plans, higher education institutions must commit to “ensuring that all learners across all areas have a significant scheduled period of on-site learning”.