A Guide to Dublin’s Student-Friendly Suburbs

Emer Tyrrell gives a run down of the neighbourhoods in the capital that are popular among college-goers.

Emer TyrrellAssistant Editor
Illustration by Emma Donohoe for The University Times

Moving away from home for college is hard, and moving up to Dublin is even harder – the buses are unreliable, the landlords are even worse and there’s an acute lack of untended grass (this might be a culchie-specific problem).

If you have the good fortune to secure a spot in Trinity Hall for your first year, this generally puts your mammy at great ease – “He’s living on campus so he is” / “He’s not!” / “He is!” / “Well there’ll be no fear of him getting lost in the big smoke, so”. That is until Mammy sorely realises that campus means Rathmines, and the Luas, which, despite recent reports, is unfortunately not free.

But that’s the beauty of being a Trinity student living in Dublin. Sure, you might spend the bulk of your time commuting in and out of the city centre, but over your four years of college, you have the coveted opportunity to rough it in any dodgy student house in a three-kilometre radius of campus.

The short commute to a Dublin suburb can be, for many, a welcome reprieve from the hustle and bustle of city life. Plus, the students of Dublin have really taken to some areas, making many of its so-called student suburbs real homes away from home. For anyone still dancing with the daft.ie devil or simply looking for some inspiration for next year, here are a few student areas to keep an eye on.

Rathmines

For many of us educational blow-ins, this is where the magic began. The Milltown Luas stop, the trek down Temple Rd and the true workout that was hauling a week’s shopping from all the way from Aldi to Trinity Hall – I can nearly taste the €4 Baron wine just thinking about it. And while the Halls bubble is a blessed place, Rathmines has a lot more to offer than your bushy-tailed first-year self might have realised. Crucially, it has an Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and a Tesco all within spitting distance of each other, not to mention a smattering of newsagents and pharmacies. For film buffs, there’s the luxurious Stella or the old reliable Omniplex. Sustainable fashion queens are also spoiled for choice with the quality of charity shop clothing on offer– second only to Camden St, which is only up the road. In terms of nightlife, you can’t go far wrong with Blackbird, which, home both to the filming of Normal People and the famous pizza and pint deals, is always hopping.

If you’re looking for something a bit more bougie, a cocktail night at Copán is the way to go. And for fans of the occasional can in the sun, there’s always a spot at Portobello canal or for a short walk, the infamous Dropping Well located along the river Dodder – need I say more?

Ranelagh

Ranelagh is essentially Rathmines’ posh cousin who could’ve hitched a lift to the family wedding but decided to go its own road instead, just so it could be fashionably late. A cosy little suburb with real soccer mom energy, it’s a gorgeous place to go for coffee, take a stroll or grab a bite to eat. Ranelagh has a delightful range of eateries to satisfy any palette. For lunch, the vegetarian and ceoliac-friendly Cinnamon is a top choice, while pizza-lovers will drool over the menu at Rita’s and for that something sweet afterwards, you need look no further than Scoop. However, Ranelagh’s real USP is its location. Located just a skip and a jump from the dreamy lush-green scenes of Herbert Park and only a mere three luas stops from St Stephen’s Green, it offers the perfect halfway house for a city dweller who also enjoys some tranquil time. Though the monthly rent in Ranelagh is pricey at times, it’s often worth it to live in this secure, well-serviced area, full of lovely food spots.

Phibsborough

If we’re sticking with the family wedding analogy, Phibsborough is the cousin you sit at the window waiting for, because you know the craic only really starts when they arrive. Rumour has it that warm cheap cans drank at the Phibsborough canal actually taste better than warm cheap cans drank anywhere else in the world. With a diverse, buzzing student atmosphere, a smattering of quality charity shops and a direct bus route to town (via the 83, 83A, 9, 4, 155, 140). The suburb is also home to a lively pub culture spanning the Bernard Shaw, McGowan’s, the Bald Eagle, the Back Page and more, making it the perfect spot to rent a house with friends. The one snag with Phibsborough is how spread out its grocery stores are, with only a Tesco at its centre and the nearest Lidl out by Cabra. However, for takeaway food, it really takes home the gold. With Camille Thai, Rua Woodfired Pizza, Eddie Rocket’s, a range of chippers, Chinese takeaways and the notorious Yeeros (seriously, just try it) on your doorstep, you’ll never go hungry in Phibsborough.

Drumcondra

For those looking to escape the Trinity bubble but still relish in a vibrant student lifestyle, Drumcondra is your nirvana. A stone’s throw from Dublin City University, it’s kitted out with anything a student house would need: a Tesco and Lidl, a train station, the classic chippers, Dominos and Apache Pizza takeaways, direct bus routes into town, and even a FLYEfit gym and library for anyone looking to establish good habits heading into the new term. For those looking to spend their downtime elsewhere, a trad session in Kennedy’s, a few pints in Fagan’s, or an evening in the Iveagh House, which also does mouth-watering food, will leave you with a whole cohort of new friends or, at the very least, a few new Instagram handles to follow. To cure your hangover the next morning, a walk among the lively canines (and chinwag with the lovely lollipop lady) in Griffith Park is recommended – plus a trip to Anderson’s Creperie for your sins.

Fairview

Neighbouring Marino, the lesser-known Fairview offers many of the same social perks. Its trademark feature is the gorgeous Fairview Park, which on any given day is home to a range of sporting activities and leisurely groups, not to mention one of Ireland’s favourite skateparks. Located only a quick spin from Clontarf, Fairview gives you the freedom to take a wander along the seafront whenever the whim might take you. In terms of food, Kennedy’s café is a top spot, with BRÚ House not far behind – especially if you’re looking for a few pints on the side. In terms of takeaways, Flaming Wok seems to be a student favourite, with the classic Four Star Pizza coming in second. Though you may have to settle for doing your weekly shop in Tesco Express now and then, Fairview makes up for it with its real community feel – definitely one to keep an eye on when you’re next surfing Daft!