With Climate Change on Everyone’s Minds, EnviroSoc Looks to the Future

Trinity's Environmental Society promotes the belief that there is no such thing as a perfect environmentalist.

Raman MalashchankaContributing Writer
Erin O'Dowd

Climate change has been at the forefront of political discussion in recent years, with grassroots groups and larger organisations alike raising awareness and calling for action on the issue. A group that shares this purpose is Trinity Environmental Society (EnviroSoc). The society’s Secretary Lucy McCarthy and Campaigns Co-ordinator Aoife Kiernan, spoke to The University Times about poster painting, the global climate strike, and the society’s plans for the future.

On the day of the interview, EnviroSoc had organised a poster painting event to help students “arm themselves” ahead of an upcoming global climate strike. A large turnout of ardent activists from all disciplines assembled at gazebo five on Parliament Square. Within minutes of the event kicking off, the paintbrushes were out and everyone was preparing their banners for action.

EnviroSoc organises a myriad of social activism events on a regular basis but members often take part in marches and protests around Ireland too. “If there is a big strike on, we will of course go to that”, says Kieran. “We have been to at least two or three this year.” Though, if marching and shouting isn’t your thing, you can attend one of the many networking sessions, talks or workshops that the society runs weekly. EnviroSoc often collaborates and organises events with other clubs and societies on campus. The society does “a good bit with Fashion Soc, because sustainability in fashion is obviously a big issue”, says Kiernan. “Botanical and Zoology [societies] are our other big collaborators.”

One of EnviroSoc’s main aims is to encourage more people to participate in climate activism. Let’s be honest, most of us care deeply about climate change, but not many of us are proactive about it. “Sometimes it feels like you have to be a ‘good’ activist, but that’s not the case”, says Kiernan. “We don’t want to exclude anyone, so [EnviroSoc] is a place people can go to and learn about climate change and activism without feeling pressured.” The society aims to make action easier for all of us and urges everyone to sign up and attend at least one event.

From meeting some of the society’s members, EnviroSoc seems like an open and friendly community. They all share one belief: There is no such thing as a perfect environmentalist! McCarthy tells The University Times that “it doesn’t matter your background, or how environmental you think you are, if you want to start, [EnviroSoc] do lots of events for people who feel intimidated”, before adding, “I definitely was like that at the start”.
Kiernan stresses that the society doesn’t seek to put pressure on members to adopt a certain lifestyle, or subscribe to a particular set of political beliefs: “No one here expects you to be zero waste, or vegan, or anything like that”, she says, adding that “there are more important things.” Everyone is encouraged to be themselves and do their bit however they can.

So what’s the main message EnviroSoc wants to get across? “Lots of voices together can bring big change”, Kiernan says. “Everyone can play the part of an environmental activist, and together we are stronger.”