10 to Run in TCDSU Elections, with Two Presidential Candidates

The campaign begins on February 21st, with voting taking place from March 1st to 3rd.

Maitiú Charleton and Ailbhe Noonan

Ten people are to contest this year’s Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) sabbatical elections, with two candidates for the union’s presidency.

Gabi Fullam, a final-year PPES student, and R. Kelly, a final-year law student, will battle it out for the role of TCDSU president.

Fullam is the current Ethnic Minorities Officer for the union and a Laidlaw scholar whose research focuses on qualitative mixed-race experiences. She has served on the committee of DU Players as house and archives manager and is the co-editor of Icarus and the editor in chief of Trinity Women and Gender Minorities Review.

Kelly is the current TCDSU Gender Equality Officer, having previously served as law convenor and a member of the access committee. She is also chair of Trinity College Law Society’s Trinity Women in Law subcomittee.

This year’s race for education officer will be uncontested with STEM Convenor Zöe Cummins as the sole candidate.

Cummins is also a Student2Student (S2S) head mentor, president of the Trinity branch of Irish NGO SUAS and a Trinity Access Programme (TAP) ambassador. Within the union, she has previously served as a class representative, physics convenor and undergraduate studies committee representative.

Cúnla Morris and Chloe Staunton will contest the welfare race.

Morris, a final-year modern Irish student, is currently a class representative as well as an ordinary member of the welfare committee. She was previously the Union’s Irish Language Officer and an ordinary member of the disability committee.

Staunton is the Union’s current Disabilities Officer and is a fourth year business and sociology student.

Julie Smirnova will be running uncontested for communications and marketing officer. Smirnova is the Citizenship Officer in the Union and is a final-year PPES student. She is the current public relations officer for Trinity Vincent De Paul (VDP).

Smirnova has worked as an assistant to the Provost’s Sustainability Advisor, which involved redesigning parts of Trinity’s website, designing infographics for Green Week and a logo for Trinity Green Campus.

Three candidates will compete for the position of ents officer – Max Lynch, a third-year engineering student and current captain of the surf club, Nadia A, a third-year computer science student and Ross Donnelly, a third-year computer science and business student.

Lynch is captain of the Trinity Surf Club and the public relations officer for DUDJ. He is also a DJ for DUDJ and a founder of sustainable clothing brand Mobius.

Abouelleil has been a class representative for two of her three years in college. She also ran the STEM ball in the same year, and has been involved in running events outside of college.

Donnelly is the current ents officer for Dublin University Sailing Club and is directing this year’s VDP panto.

The sole candidate for editor of The University Times is Mairead Maguire, a third-year history and politics student and the current deputy editor of the paper.

Maguire previously served as the paper’s news editor and societies editor. She sat on the welfare and equality committee last year. She is a Laidlaw scholar and worked with Trinity Disability Service last summer as an intern.

Correction: 6:44pm, February 7th, 2022
An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Mairead Maguire was a TCDSU class representative last year. In fact, she sat on the union’s welfare and equality committee last year but was not a class representative.