TCDSU Elections 2022

Ents Candidate Nadia A Given Major Strike

The candidate was campaigning in Goldsmith Hall on Monday evening, when campaigning in-person was only allowed in Trinity Hall.

Ailbhe Noonan and Emer Moreau

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents candidate Nadia A has been given a major strike by the Electoral Commission (EC).

The candidate was campaigning in Goldsmith Hall on Monday night, outside of the allotted campaign hours for that area. Campaigning in person between 6pm and 9pm is only permitted in Trinity Hall.

In an email statement to The University Times, Chair of TCDSU Council Adam Balchin said that she will be banned from campaigning for four hours today, from noon to 1pm, 2pm to 4pm and and 6pm to 7pm.

Speaking to The University Times, the candidate said that her team “weren’t aware” of the rules around evening campaigning only being permitted in Trinity Hall.

“We weren’t aware that we were breaking the rules whatsoever,” she said. “I’m really upset about it, I’ve been so sick for the past few days.”

“I’m ashamed that I got a strike, but genuinely, when they told me I was shocked because I didn’t know we were breaking the rules.”

She said she only canvassed three people in Goldsmith at the time. “We honestly got confused, we knew people were campaigning in Halls but we thought it didn’t matter where we campaigned on the Monday. Obviously that’s our fault, but I don’t think it’s fair that we got a major strike because if we knew it was wrong we wouldn’t have done it.”

The third-year computer science student is running on a platform of making Trinity Ents safer, more inclusive and more sustainable. She has pledged to have female bouncers and first aiders on nights out, and has said she will plan more events around various cultural celebrations such as Eid and Holi.

She has also said she will do “everything in [her] power to make Trinity Ball 2023 plastic-free”, and she will also strive for a cash-free Ball.