House Six Should Already be Accessible. But Now There’s a Timeline For it

Plans presented this week show that a lift is set to be installed in the building by 2024.

A core part of many students’ college experience, House Six should have been made accessible for all students a long time ago. This newspaper, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), the Graduate Students’ Union, the Central Societies Committee, Trinity Publications and a host of societies are based in the building. It’s a hub of student activity, but falls far short of being the beating heart of student life due to its structure.

Plans announced this week which will see House Six made accessible by 2024 are extremely encouraging. Months of lobbying by students in Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and College’s disability advocates has paid off.

Although far from a new issue, last year accessibility was the issue on everyone’s mind. From the Cumann Gaelach’s campaign to make Seomra na Gaeilge accessible to a TCDSU motion mandating the union’s president and officer for students with disabilities to carry out a feasibility study, students are determined to stand for an accessible College.

Extensive work from the Disability Service has also contributed to this landmark achievement – a deadline has been set and plans are in place.

Renovations of House Six always have the subtext of Trinity’s long-awaited student centre. While TCDSU President Leah Keogh committed last year to moving those plans along, it’s clear that students won’t be gone from House Six any time soon, so it must be brought up to scratch.

Forgotten over the years and reduced to many a campaign promise in sabbatical elections, the student centre doesn’t seem to be high up on anyone’s list of priorities. Trinity has other capital projects to worry about, and students have more immediate issues to tackle.

Just because House Six’s accessibility issues are set to be rectified doesn’t mean a student space isn’t necessary. But this week’s progress is a testament to College’s co-operation with students and the Disability Service.

Trinity has a long way to go to being truly accessible, but making House Six open to all students is certainly a step in the right direction.