Divinity and Sublimity for FashionSoc’s Annual Show

This year’s fashion show is titled 'The Divine and the Sublime', inspired by a modern-day renaissance.

Alannah Ní MhuiríFashion Editor
Isabel Farrington

As the academic year comes to an end, so do most society events. In an effort to go out with a bang, the Trinity Fashion Society (FashionSoc) has saved its best event until last, bringing back its annual fashion show for the first time since 2019.

This year’s fashion show is titled “The Divine and the Sublime”, inspired by a modern-day renaissance. The theme was partially derived from the trials of the pandemic, where FashionSoc saw a chance to take the good from the bad and showcase how fashion has gone from a dark, dull place to a bright, vibrant showcase of style. Eva Conn, one of the lead designers, said “it was really a chance to see something good in the last two years, and how fashion has evolved from a dark place to a place of vibrancy”.

The show will happen in three acts, each representing an era of the pandemic. The first will encompass the dark, dull beginnings where things seemed very grey and hopeless, the second highlights how we hit a turning point and began to emerge from despair, and the last embodies our acceptance of the tragedy and the rebirth of hope and return to normality. The three acts will gradually embrace more colour, going from dull tones to bright, vibrant colours across the show, with pieces chosen and styled by FashionSoc’s incredible team.

Chioma Muoneke, chair of the society, and the 7 stylists have been tirelessly working on curating outfits that will embody their chosen theme. In an interview with The University Times, Muoneke said: “It’s been a lot of work and we are still getting things together and pulling in the final details, but it’ll be all worth it in the end.”

With 17 models walking the runway, FashionSoc have also split the workload into different departments: the PR team, the production team and the sponsorship team.

The entire committee began planning for the show in early January, but moved it back to April to finish the year on a positive note and ensure that restrictions would allow for a large live event. A lot of careful planning has gone into the event, including getting live music, lighting, and a decorated space to shape the atmosphere and build excitement for the show.

The Society’s entire team will also make their runway debut – at the end they will all walk the runway, not only to show their own incredible style but also to thank the committee’s hard work and end the year the way any fashion society should – on the main runway stage draped in all their finery.

The society has been sourcing clothing from cold calls and emails as well as designers and recent graduates, although there’s always some degree of change on the day and plenty of last-minute work to ensure that the clothing chosen is available and ready to go. The dedicated teams will be working right up to the show to ensure the best experience possible for everyone from the crew to the models to the audience.

Conn also explained how clothing has to be picked very last minute to ensure all clothing would still be available and not end up being used that night. “We have all the outfits for the models selected, but we always have to do a last minute double check because you never which pieces are still going to be available to you.”

Regardless of the planning and organisation, the society is buzzing for the end of year fashion show. The show is one of Trinity’s most beloved events each year and this one is not one to be missed. With very limited tickets left, time is running out to get to see this amazing event. Tickets can be booked here.

“The Divine and the Sublime” will take place on Tuesday, April 12th. Doors will open at 5:45pm and the show will start at 6:30pm in D Light Studios, 46 North Great Clarence St.