Trinity to Provide 200 Beds to Ukrainian Refugees for May and June

College will provide meals on site.

Emer MoreauEditor
Emer Moreau for The University Times

Trinity will provide 200 single rooms for Ukrainian refugees for the months of May and June.

College will provide meals on site, but additional supports such as medical services “will need to be provided by the state”.

In an email statement to The University Times, Trinity Media Relations Officer Catherine O’Mahony said: “In solidarity with Ukraine, Trinity College Dublin is in a position to offer 200 single ensuite rooms in its student residences in May and June this year (from May 22 to June 19 2022), to be made available for refugees.”

“Meals can be provided on site but the anticipated additional welfare needs (medical/social services/child supports etc) will need to be provided by the state.”

Colleges will provide around 2,000 beds for refugees over the summer.

The Department of Higher Education said the spaces will only be available over the summer months and will not impact the supply of rooms for students in the upcoming academic year.

“The final allocation of accommodation by each higher education institution is a matter for that institution,” it said yesterday in a press statement.

Last month, Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris said that student housing would be made available for Ukrainian refugees.

He said: “We have been working with our colleges and we’re continuing to work with them to make sure that student accommodation, which will be vacant when colleges are closed, can be made available in the short-term for Ukrainian students.”

Trinity is taking a “whole-College approach” to assist those affected by the invasion, involving multiple units including Academic Registry, the Student Counselling Service and the Senior Tutor’s Office.

College has also said it will “evaluate our existing partnerships with academic institutions in Russia”.

In an email to students and staff last month, Provost Linda Doyle said: “We have no students in Ukraine, but we have students from Ukraine in Trinity who have been experiencing incredible anxiety and distress.”

“Our immediate priority has been our students and staff”, the email said.

“The Trinity Global team has been holding daily meetings for the 18 students in Russia and assisting with travel arrangements and other support needs for those who are leaving Moscow and St Petersburg. In addition, the Senior Lecturer has been liaising with the academic departments of these students to ensure their academic journey is not adversely impacted by their departure from Russia. We are also liaising with the relevant embassies and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.”