Doyle Elected to LERU Board of Directors

Doyle joins Prof Yves Flückiger of Université de Genève and Prof Bernhard Eitel of Universität Heidelberg at the helm of the organisation.

Jody DruceNews Editor

Provost Linda Doyle has been elected to the Board of Directors of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), at a meeting of members of the consortium at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands.

Elected by LERU’s Rectors’ Assembly, Doyle joins Prof Yves Flückiger of Université de Genève and Prof Bernhard Eitel of Universität Heidelberg at the helm of the organisation.

The Provost replaces Prof Karen Maex who is stepping down from her role as Rector Magnificus of the University of Amsterdam.

In a tweet this evening, Doyle said: “I’m honoured to be elected to the board of the League of European Research Universities today.”

“LERU is an outstanding organisation with remarkable ambition for research in our institutions,” she added.

“Looking forward to supporting its advocacy for research, innovation & higher education”.

Prof Flückiger will serve as LERU’s new chair. In a press statement, he said: “I’m excited and honoured to take over the role of LERU Chair.”

“During the past two decades, LERU has done an excellent job in promoting the interests of frontier research, innovation, and education in Europe, and has the firm intention to continue to do that, notwithstanding the many challenges within and beyond Europe at this point in time.”

Secretary-General of LERU Prof. Kurt Deketelaere welcomed Flückiger’s appointment, he said: “I am very much looking forward to continue working with Yves, and to push even harder, with a Swiss LERU Chair, for the association of Switzerland and the UK to Horizon Europe.”

Trinity first joined the prestigious group of research universities in 2016.

Doyle is currently completing her first year in a decade-long term as Provost. Prior to running for the role, Doyle was the Director of the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) CONNECT Centre, a position she left to become Trinity’s Dean of Research.

Doyle has also been heavily involved in the postgraduate advisory service and is a professor of engineering and the arts.

Her Provost election manifesto, “Imagine Trinity,” encouraged voters to imagine what Trinity would be like in 2031 at the conclusion of her provostship. She frequently focused on her first manifesto point about creating a “re-energised democracy” during provostial hustings, discussing detailed plans of how to redistribute provostial power.