Five of the Best: Dublin Theatre Festival

In the run-up to one of the biggest cultural events of the year, here are our top picks.

Anastasia FedosovaDeputy Radius Editor

Dublin Theatre Festival presents Dublin audiences with an eclectic programme of Irish and international work. This year marks the festival’s return to full capacity, welcoming artists from all over the globe. Audiences will get a unique chance of seeing 17 world premieres as well as the highly anticipated return of Italian artist Romeo Castellucci. As hard as it was, The University Times has picked five outstanding shows from the festival’s programme that will brighten up your autumn.

Dinner With Groucho

B*spoke Theatre Company presents audiences with a dinner date like no other. “Dinner with Groucho” is inspired by the relationship of Groucho Marx and T.S. Eliot, whose friendship was one of tension, mutual reverence and long correspondence. The famous comedian and the great poet meet for dinner on the edge of heaven. The encounter that reveals the men’s sorrows and secrets is conducted by the powerful proprietor. “Dinner with Groucho” runs at The Civic Theatre from September 26th to October 1st. Tickets are €20 to €25.

Jezebel

A Phoenician princess, a shameless and profane woman, a seductress — Jezebel has come to signify a variety of meanings. For Cherish Menzo, the choreographer and performer of “Jezebel”, this name is associated with the Video Vixen, female models who appeared in hip hop video clips in the late 90s and early 00s. In her performance, Menzo, a Black dancer born in the the Netherlands, refuses any external constraints and seeks to deconstruct the stereotypes. “Jezebel” is a powerful performance that employs hip hop as a means for self-redefinition. Jezebel runs at the Project Arts Centre from October 3rd to the 4th. Tickets are €25.

The Cold Sings

“The Cold Sings” draws inspiration from Sylvia Plath’s “The Bell Jar” as well as her poetry and personal letters. Set in the 1950s, “The Cold Sings” fuses dance, text and music in order to explore issues of female identity and mental health. The show is created by the artistic directors of the Junk Ensemble, Megan and Jessica Kennedy, and is performed by a stellar cast of Irish and international dancers, singers and musicians. “The Cold Sings” runs at The Depot at The Complex from October 5th to the 9th. Tickets are €15 to €25.

Good Sex

Every night, two actors, complete strangers to each other and to the script, meet on stage to tell their story. It is a story of desire, betrayal and loneliness. Carefully guided by an intimacy director, they will explore the terrain of touch and intimacy. “Good Sex” was created by the famously innovative Irish company Dead Centre in collaboration with award-winning novelist and essayist Emilie Pine. After two years in which humans were scared of touching each other, “Good Sex” is as relevant as ever. The raw and sincere performance of two actors who have never rehearsed together reinforces the show’s major theme. “Good Sex” runs at the Samuel Beckett Theatre from September 28th to October 2nd. Tickets are €20 to €30.

BROS

For the first time in 18 years, Italian director Romeo Castellucci returns to Dublin with the provoking and piercing “BROS”. A group of unknown men, brought from the street, are dressed in police uniforms and put together on stage to carry out the orders given to them through headset devices. “BROS” explores the themes of authority and individual and collective responsibility, and it challenges our relationship with the law and its dominant force. Dark, unsettling and violent, the story is told through images and movements. “BROS” runs at O’Reilly Theatre, Belvedere College, from October 14th to the 15th. Tickets are €30 to €40.