Preview: Celebrate Irish Women in Jazz at The Workman’s Club

Irish Women in Jazz commend female jazz musicians across the emerald isle.

Aoife DohenyDeputy music editor

Irish Women in Jazz is a group which celebrates female and female-identifying jazz musicians based in Ireland. It can be seen as part of a growing movement across Dublin to amplify smaller female artists in traditionally male-dominated music genres, and it provides a valuable space for social networking and education for aspiring musicians. The organisation features ten artists on its website and promotes many more, including the Carole Nelson Trio.

The Carole Nelson Trio will be performing at the club’s Vintage Room as part of the Irish Women in Jazz series on Sunday, October 23rd. This is a unique chance for students to delve deeper into what might be a slightly under-recognised music genre. The venue itself uses antique decor in a way that ensures all attendees enjoy an atmospheric and relaxed evening.

The Carole Nelson Trio focuses on Nelson’s compositions, with accompaniment from Cormac O’Brien on bass and Dominic Mullan on drums.  All About Jazz magazine have hailed Nelson as one of the most original and refined composers in Irish jazz to date. Infusing her love of nature into the urban city scene, Nelson has stated that she is often inspired by walks in her local woods, and on her album notes says that she seeks to express “the living reality of a forest” in her music.

This resonates especially in the context of our current climate emergency. Nelson hopes that her music encourages listeners to immerse themselves in learning “about finding the courage to feel, about emotional resilience and active hope”.

Listeners will have a chance to hear the Carole Nelson Trio play its latest album (released in June of this year) live. Titled Night Vision, the album was featured on the Irish Times “Feast Your Ears: The 10 Best Irish Albums of 2022 so far” and has been praised for its “wonderful mix of query, quietude and clarity”.

This is not The Workman’s Club’s first time hosting an event as part of the Irish Women in Jazz series. This September they also showcased an exciting group called BERRI, a Dublin-based band focused on improvisation and communication through song.

Doors open for the gig at 7.30pm, with the end-time estimated to be about 10.30pm. Tickets cost €10 each and can be bought through The Workman’s Club’s website, Eventbrite or www.jazzireland.ie. Bringing together themes of women in music, a love of nature and jazz means this might just be the event for you.