The Hungry Student’s Guide to Lunch

We’ve rounded up a nifty guide of the best places around campus to eat.

Théo MartinFood and Drink Editor
@pablopicanteirl on Instagram

So it’s past midday, you’re in a lecture and you’ve decided to ignore your lunchbox full of last night’s stir-fry. The hunger pangs are intensifying, and the last thing you want is to trudge home and rustle up some beans on toast. “What now?”, you ask yourself.

If you’re like me – scared of meal prep and happy to max out the food budget – this non-exhaustive list is for you!

The Buttery 

Since we’re talking about college lunch, it would be rude to exclude our very own canteen. Formerly a smoke-filled bar, the Buttery is now an institution that draws in hordes of hungry students each day. The food is simple, easy on the pocket and quite literally on your doorstep.

The low ceilings cover tables of chatty staff and students convening over cups of coffee and sausage rolls. You probably met your Student 2 Student mentor here at some stage and have rarely ventured back since, but now’s the time to show it some love again.

Don’t forget the discount when you pay with your T-Card. (There’s definitely still some money on it from when you had to print your assignments out in first year.) 

Tang 

Hiking all the way to the top of Dawson St is worth it for this one. Beloved by professionals and students alike, this Middle Eastern-inspired spot is one that you’ll return to, wind, rain or shine. 

Its focus on sustainability is a huge part of its ethos, and it’s reflected in its recipes. Eat well and save the planet at the same time? – win-win!

Serving up flatbreads, soups and salads with prices ranging from €4.95 to €8, Tang is the perfect place to eat delicious, healthy produce without breaking the bank. 

Pablo Picante 

The Boojum vs Tolteca debate is dead, thank you very much – get your fill in an alternative Mexican eatery instead. In close proximity to the Arts Block on Dawson St, this joint offers both a flavoursome meal and an unbeatable student discount. 

The shop’s eponymous creator is steeped in legend. Born in Baja California, Mexico, the masked wrestler brought tortas and burritos to Ireland, and we haven’t been the same since.

From €7.75, pick yourself up a burrito filled with meats, such as pork carnitas and beef barbacoa, with a soft drink on the side. It’s often touted as the best in the city, and I couldn’t agree more. 

Sprout & Co

Did salads even exist before Sprout & Co? Whatever did we do before Super Guacabowles and Kale Caesars? 

The popular chain has its roots in organic produce and sources its veg from its very own farm in Co Kildare. The dishes are “local, seasonal and flavourful”. Hence why half of campus can be found there at any given moment. 

With locations on Dawson St, Baggot St and Exchequer St, all roads from Trinity lead to Sprout. 

The Pig & Heifer

A hop, skip and a jump from the Hamilton Building, this New York-style delicatessen is a lunchtime gem tucked away on Pearse St. I love a good sandwich, and the cooks at The Pig & Heifer are masters of their craft. 

Generous portions of good-quality products, such as Serrano ham, Santa Lucia mozzarella and an array of leaves, make these sandwiches some of the best you can find in Dublin City for under a tenner. If you’re gluten free or just not into the restaurant’s vast choice of breads, you can get yourself a salad instead.

Cornucopia 

Vegans and vegetarians rejoice, for this cafe is literally a cornucopia of plant-based goodness. If you’re looking for a substantial meal to set you up for your evening lectures, this is the place for you.

A heavyweight of the Dublin food scene, it boasts a wide range of hot dishes, soups and salads. Wander upstairs for a comfortable dining experience and a view of the Wicklow St shoppers.

Although this spot is a little pricey, it’s well worth the treat – just one bite of the salad will have you feeling like a fresher again. 

KC Peaches 

Nassau St’s self-service cafe has always been a lifeline for the student craving a quick, hearty meal. Offering an eclectic spread of hot and cold dishes, such as schnitzel, macaroni cheese and potato salad, there’s plenty of room to get creative.

The cafe’s downstairs seating space is the perfect place to take the edge off a group project meeting, catch up on lectures over a pastry or sit in solitude with a coffee. Plates range from €7.50 to €11, and you’re always guaranteed to leave with a full stomach. 

Students get 10 per cent off with a valid student card and can grab a takeaway box and a bottle of water for €6.50. 

Carluccio’s 

This list would be incomplete without our favourite Italian food. By the grace of the food gods, Carluccio’s is continuing its student deal of one packed box of pasta for €5.50 – hallelujah!

Carluccio’s options change daily, and its rich, creamy concoctions are perfect fuel for the winter months. Situated on Dawson St, you can always rely on Carluccio’s if you’re hungry and penne-less. 

So there you have it folks – a little snippet of some good eats close to campus. Keep an eye out for the student discounts, and remember that investing in cooking skills and some Tupperware is preferable if you want to get a hold of those purse strings!