Students Vote Against Lobbying College to Abolish Booking and Equipment Fees

The referendum was held last Friday.

Gina BagnuloSenior Editor

Trinity Sport will continue to require pre-booking and equipment fees after the student body voted against lobbying College to abolish booking and equipment fees.

The referendum, run by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union on January 30th, asked students to vote on whether they would support a Long Term Policy (LTP) to lobby College to abolish booking and equipment fees in favour of supporting the collection of the Sports Centre Development Charge (SCDC), paid by registered students at the beginning of the academic year.

In an email statement to The University Times, Trinity Sports Union (TSU) Chairperson Liam Bean said: “In light of the recent referendum results, I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to everyone who participated in the voting process”.

“Without your participation, the students’ voices would not have been heard. The Trinity Sport Union along with the 49 sport clubs, stands united and moments like these emphasise our solidarity.”

“If you have any queries or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Sport Union. We are here for you”, he added.

In an email statement to The University Times, Lórien MacEnulty, a PhD physics student and the ‘yes’ campaign manager, said: “The outcome of this referendum is very disappointing”.

“The true, altruistic nature of the motion – a grassroots motion proposed by 11 postgraduate students already struggling with the cost of living – was eclipsed by the reactionary panic of the Trinity Sports Union, who conjured a controversy where there was none”, she added.

“The campaign demonstrates how the sport “union” has become a puppet for Trinity Sport’s business ventures, which are clearly threatened by any sort of reevaluation that involves the student voice.”

As per the election outcome, Trinity Sport will continue to require pre-booking and equipment fees.