College Radio – The Solution to a Dying Media?

Trinity FM continues the tradition of college radio as an opportunity to platform exciting and eclectic music.

Sadie LoughmanMusic Editor
Trinity FM

Perhaps The Buggles were right when they said video killed the radio star, but radio is not yet dead. It is instead probably curled in a heap on the floor, drawing its final raspy breaths. The arrival of television was the first blow to radio’s popularity – where the radio was once a primary source of music and entertainment, images could now take over its pictureless drone. People became accustomed to seeing their favourite music stars on live television, with Top of the Pops broadcasting acts from Nirvana to the Spice Girls. But the radio was still useful in other regards, like the car. Long journeys could be made less boresome with an array of music chosen by radio hosts, chat segments and news updates. But even so, there is now such a prevalence of streaming platforms that we no longer have to rely on the radio, hoping that they might play a song we like. Instead, we can create carefully chosen playlists and listen to podcasts of our niche interests without hassle. So where does this leave radio?

Radio listenership in Dublin still remains high. According to a 2023 study by Joint National Listenership Research, 57% of people between the ages of 18 and 24 in Dublin report listening to the radio at least once a week. This number increases in older adults to 72%. But it is a sordid affair. One might tune in to SPIN 1038 to have their ears assaulted by the same Justin Bieber and DJ Snake song that has been playing since 2016, or, more likely, Dermot Kennedy. If not these two options, instead perhaps an ad about being an ad-free station, or better yet some incomprehensible game in which listeners must call in to be in with the chance of winning the trip of a lifetime. The radio today is monotonous. If one listens for too long, they soon become unable to distinguish where one song ends and another begins, as each bland tune sung by a white man slides imperceptibly into the next. This dreary homogeneity is enough to leave one in utter defeat. 

The statistics don’t lie — Dublin radio plays mainly white, male artists. Between June 2022 and 2023, only 1 in 4 songs played were by women, and less than 20% of songs played were by artists of colour. Irish artists have much to offer, but their own radio stations won’t even give them airtime, with 78% of songs played being from international artists. Moreover, the prospects of hearing new or underexposed music are slim. Movements have been made to broaden the platform, with demands for the release of more radio licences, encouraging the creation of niche stations which can offer deep cuts and undiscovered gems to their audience. But with Joe Duffy’s seemingly eternal reign, and the RTÉ conglomerate of radio presenters (who all have the same insufferable accent), there is not much hope. 

This all begs the question — can college radio offer a better solution? Although we live in a multimedia world full of choice, having someone else curate our listening can be fun, especially if it is one of our peers. College radio can offer exposure to less well-known artists and its importance to the culture cannot be overstated. Particularly in the early 90’s, US college radio was a haven for discovering obscure music and subgenres. Bands like R.E.M, U2, The Smiths and The Cure can all attribute their rise to fame to this outlet. College radio acts as a distributor for fresh, exciting music, often away from the mainstream. It has its finger on the pulse of the younger generations’ interests.

Here in Trinity, Trinity FM is Ireland’s only student-run radio station, boasting a broad array of shows. One can tune in on weekdays from 3 p.m. to midnight to hear anything from jazz, to lively conversation amidst spontaneously chosen songs, to retro hits. As well as their regular broadcasts, Trinity FM’s sub-committee Top Floor Music is host to small, intimate acoustic concerts, highlighting acts on campus such as EVIE, Last Apollo and Lifts. The aim of the society, says chairperson Daisy Speaker, “is to bring a meaningful and accessible platform to students across College”. With 484 members in 2022 and 166 daily listeners since its new broadcast schedule in October 2023, Trinity FM is an ever-expanding platform.

Trinity FM can be found through its online broadcast. Although it’s a move away from the analogue radio of the 20th century, which relied on limiting radio wave signals, it is no less of a grassroots production. The station maintains a comfortable, easy-going feel for its listeners, while also being accessible worldwide. Daisy goes on to say:Many of our members apply for shows just to chat with friends about what they find is important to express: interpretations of art, literature and film, stances on current affairs and our place in the global space, or even just what they’ve been up to as Trinity students. Others just play music, choosing to share their thoughts, feelings, and anything else they wish to get out there differently.” What college radio boils down to, particularly Trinity FM, is a voice for “passionate students”, functioning dually as a means of self-expression for its members and as entertainment for its listeners. Radio has the potential to survive its existential crisis through our generation – as long as accessible and approachable communities like Trinity FM continue to exist.

So the next time you turn on the radio and feel the ever-impending doom of hearing the same stale and uninspired rotation of songs, instead tune into Trinity FM. Allow your fellow students to guide your listening and support their tireless effort — it might just lead you to your new favourite artist.