Cancer Society’s Christmas Appeal

It is in the festive spirit that the Trinity Cancer Society is this year appealing for toys for children suffering with cancer around Ireland, writes Fiachra Mooney

Fiachra MooneyContributing Writer

Christmas is one of the most magical times of the year and is known for being a season for fun and cheer. It is a time for being with loved ones, in the warmth and safety of your home. For most of us, it is probably the most idyllic and loved period of the year. As Andy Williams puts it: “It’s the most wonderful time of the year.” Sadly, this is not always the reality for an increasing number of people. 

Christmas can bring additional levels of stress, and at times sorrow, when factors beyond our control seem to hold us back from the ideal Christmas we all hope for. Indeed, far from winding down for Christmas, the workload of many charities only increases at this time of year. The worsening weather conditions combined with the increased level of spending required and expected at this time of year, means that many people are pushed to the breaking point. 

Charities endeavour to ease the burden of many families going through difficult times. They work hard to step in and aim to make Christmas as joyful as it can be. The very same applies to Trinity’s charities. 

And it is in the festive spirit that the Trinity Cancer Society is this year appealing for toys for children suffering with cancer around Ireland. 

Around 200 children and teenagers under the age of 16 are diagnosed with cancer every year in Ireland. Many face diagnoses of leukaemia or tumours affecting their brain and nervous system. There is no prevention, and often, there is no cure. 

No child should have to spend Christmas sick and in hospital. Unfortunately, for far too many children this is the reality of the Christmas they will face. In order to bring some much needed festive cheer to children suffering with cancer in hospitals all over Ireland, Trinity Cancer Society is running a present drive for Childhood Cancer Ireland. 

Childhood Cancer Ireland (CCI) is a charity founded by and led by parents of children who are cancer survivors and fighters. The presents and cards collected will go to children in CCI shared care centres in hospitals around Ireland.

How to Help:

We are asking for small toys in new condition (below €15). Easy options to source the style that we are looking for include the Lego and Disney stores on Grafton Street or Mark’s Models on Hawkin Street. There’s also Arts & Hobby, and Cogs the Brain Store in the St. Stephen’s Green Shopping areas and Smyth’s Toys in the Jervis Shopping Centre. 

If you do not feel you have the time or means to purchase a present, but would still like to help, you can donate to our Toy Fund. The Toy Fund will be used to buy toys for children in the CCI shared care units. And if you want a break from the library, Cancer Soc will also be running Christmas card making with Trinity FLAC and TCD Vis Arts in the Arts Workshop. The overarching aim is to remind the children that there are people out there who care, and who are thinking of them as they go through this extremely difficult time.

Details on all the fundraising efforts can be found on our Instagram page, @tcdcancersoc. 

We know that Christmas is a demanding time of the year for students facing exams, and the financial pressures of the festive period. We recognise that everybody is already stretched as it is. But if you can spare anything, it will go a long way to helping children and families going through a very difficult time. 

Our Thanks

On the note of thankfulness, we would like to thank all of the Societies and clubs that have helped us so far this year in the fight against cancer: Trinity Ents, Law Soc, Formula Trinity, DUCSS, TCD GAA, VTP, DU Players, Hispanic Soc, Psych Soc, The (Phil) Eliz, SMF Women in Business, Trinity Business Review, DUGES, DUDJ and Fashion Soc. With their help, we have managed to double the amount of money raised compared to last year, with well over €4000 raised. 

That’s not to mention those that have entered our mullet competition and those currently braving the cold winter air for their Naked Calendar shoots. And of course we would like to thank all of the students who continue to give generously, without whom none of this would be possible. 

And in the Christmas spirit of sharing, we also want to point out the amazing work done by our friends in Trinity VDP who are providing warm food to those sleeping rough, and raising funds for St Vincent de Paul. Equally there is incredible work put in by the Voluntary Tuition Programme providing grinds at the St Andrew’s Resource Centre. There is also huge effort across societies running valuable awareness campaigns such as FLAC, DU Amnesty and STAND. 

More volunteers are always welcomed by all of us!

Merry Christmas from the Trinity Cancer Society, and a Happy New Year.