Provost Linda Doyle Thanks “the Very Best of Trinity” in Statement Following Riots

In an email sent to the entire college community, Provost Linda Doyle has condemned the attack and violent riots, and has thanked the students and staff who worked to help each other.

Leah DowneyDeputy News Editor

Provost Linda Doyle has released a statement addressing the violent riots that erupted in Dublin City Centre last night, condemning the “horrific attacks” and “unacceptable scenes”, adding that such crimes “have no place in a democratic country.” 

The statement continues on to say that the decision to close the gates of Trinity came from the Gardaí. Following this, “several hundred students and a number of staff had to spend the night on make-shift bedding in locations across campus.”

In the email sent to all staff and students this evening, the Provost acknowledged the significant solidarity that emerged from all aspects of the college, calling it “the very best of Trinity.” She specifically acknowledged the efforts of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), members of various societies, college residents and all other students and staff “who found themselves on campus, all working together”. 

The results of the civil unrest has led to a decision to postpone the annual Christmas Tree lighting ceremony, which had been scheduled for this coming Monday. The Provost also linked the support offered to students and staff affected by the crisis.

The Provost continued the statement to affirm Trinity’s values, stating the college “has long been a force for progressive values in Irish society.”

“I want to recommit our university to the core principles of inclusion, welcome, diversity, equality, tolerance and respect.”

The email concludes with an acknowledgement of the uncertain times in our society, promising that the university will continue to stand for these values unwavering.