Trinity Trend: 2024 Campus Ins and Outs

Eloise Sherrard predicts what trends are on their way out this year, and which she thinks will replace them on campus

Eloise SherrardDeputy Fashion Editor
Photo via @saravalberg on Instagram

Another year, another strut-it show on the daily around campus. As we welcome the new year, we also welcome (or in some cases suffer the sight of) everyone and their mother’s 2024 “Ins and Outs” lists. So, I thought I’d put my own spin on this by considering Trinity’s trends which looks should we expect to see strutting past on repeat, and which should be banished through the front gates, never again to return? Just as a disclaimer before I commence, the opinions which will be expressed are not purely my own, but are based on the many varying opinions of different individuals whom I have consulted on this matter.

Scarves

Can you imagine a Trinity in which campus wasn’t clarried with scarves long scarves, short scarves, thick scarves, ties as scarves, and of course not forgetting the Arts Block signature, the ubiquitous skinny scarf. I’m often surprised that the iconic Campanile stands tall yet bare, not sporting a scarf like almost all those who loiter below it. And so there’s the problem, despite the jokes poked at scarves about how they are overworn and unoriginal, it is undeniable that they are a Trinity staple. Not only do they carry out their primary function of keeping one warm, but they jazz up many outfits, can be thrown over one’s head in case of a freak rain shower, or even better can be quicky flung across one’s face if one were to spot an undesirable individual walking in one’s direction, which may lead to an undesirable encounter… what a stylish disguise! Ultimatum? Scarves are in as they could simply never be out.

Doc Martens

If I were really foolhardy, I might just outright say that I believe Docs should be out, but I perhaps best bite my tongue as I can just hear the stomping rage of hundreds of pairs of lace-up-black-booted feet, as those who they carry read these very words. Yet I must ask, reader, if you yourself find yourself with a pair of these black blocks on the end of your legs, I must ask, how do your feet feel right now? I ask this because, of the many lace-up-black-booted cult sporters whom I have encountered, I have never heard a single one describe these romper-stompers, as my granny would call them, as “comfortable”. In fact, I have only heard opinions on the contrary. Don’t get me wrong. I think they look great, I really do. How could anyone object to the aesthetic of a good versatile black leather boot which matches almost everything? It’s not their aesthetic I resent but rather the many cries I have heard from their blistering wearers. But I mean, I’m one to talk, as I have never even touched a Doc Marten. But I will say that my two beloved pairs of boots by the brands “Unisa” and “Call It Spring” feel like I am walking on air when I wear them. Ultimatum? Boots will always be in, but maybe we should reconsider a more comfortable pair than the Docs.

Bags

It is a rarity that you spot anyone without a bag on campus. Shoulder bags, satchels, the iconic tote bag and, if you’re really serious, the backpack. Obviously, bags are essential for us incredibly studious students (especially Arts Block students with all those heavy slab-like ornamental books). And some of these bags go beyond just their mere functionality, as there is little I love more than eyeing up the many artistic images on many tote bags, and so they are definitely in. However, my gripe is with backpacks… or rather more precisely, how they are sometimes worn. A backpack on one’s back is one thing it is by no means attractive or eye-catching. Yet I’ll tell you what backpack (or perhaps it would be more appropriate to label it as a stomach-pack) is eye-catching, one which is worn on one’s front, especially when there is already one on the back. Granted, it is a rare sight to behold, but trust me when I say it is one I have beheld before, but most certainly never wish to again. Therefore, bags are in, but some of the ways in which they are worn are most definitely out.

Whether you agree or disagree, I think we can all agree that we hope 2024 is Trinity’s trendiest year yet.