Gaeilge Initiative Referendum Passes with Landslide Majority

The referendum, which will enable the creation of a full-time Irish Language Officer, passed with a 90 per cent majority.

Leah DowneyDeputy News Editor
Emer Moreau for The University Times

The referendum concerning the Gaeilge Initiative has passed with a 90 per cent majority, successfully voting to create a full-time Sabbatical position for an Irish Language Officer. 

The referendum saw a turnout of 1,590 voters, the highest turnout in any Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) referendum since 2018. Of these, 1,424 voted in favour of the motion, 162 voted against and 4 ballots were spoiled. 

The current part-time Oifigeach na Gaeilge, Pádraig Mac Brádaigh, first proposed the motion on the third Student Union Council of the 2023/24 year. It was seconded by Trinity College Student Union (TCDSU) President László Molnárfi. 

The motion had a stipulation that a €4.00 charge would be applied to the Student Levy. However, “students deemed to be in financial hardship, as moderated by the Senior Tutor’s Office, would be exempt from payment of the Levy Fee”. 

The funds will be distributed such that TCDSU is expected to receive up to 70% of the funds, with the Central Society Committee receiving 15%, the Sports Union receiving up to 10% and Trinity Publications receiving up to 5% of the funds. 

Nominations for the position will remain open until Friday, February 9th. The nominees will be announced that evening and will partake in campaigning alongside the 14 nominees that have already been announced.

The winner of the election will take on a full-time Sabbatical Role for the 2024/25 year.