TCD Renters’ Solidarity Network to Take Trinity to the RTB

The group has also announced their intentions to escalate this action against College through direct action in the coming weeks.

Sáoirse GoesDeputy Editor

The TCD Renters’ Solidarity Network has announced their intention to take College to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) over its treatment of student tenants on-campus and in Halls. 

In an email sent to The University Times on Sunday afternoon, the group outlined its concerns, arguing that “the terms and conditions of the contract are unreasonable and unfair”. In the statement, they also restate their concerns over College’s overnight guests policy, deeming it “paternalistic, dangerous and hypocritical”. 

It is on the basis of these concerns that the Network intends to lodge individual disputes to the RTB. Explaining its decision to bring disputes before the board, the group explains, “this avenue of putting pressure on College was decided following consultation with Threshold,” an organisation providing free advice to support renters in Ireland. 

The Renters’ Solidarity Network has also outlined its plans to publish a survey recording instances where issues have surfaced regarding the policy on overnight guests.

The statement also posited the group’s intentions to escalate by taking direct action against College authorities, details of which can be expected in the coming weeks.

Earlier this year, the TCD Renters’ Solidarity Network also started a petition demanding that College abolish its overnight guests policy. The petition, which has amassed over 540 signatures, criticises the “overpriced and dingy” Trinity student accommodation, specifically citing its “terrible WiFi, frequently malfunctioning utilities and an almost non-existent maintenance system”. Through the petition, the group also condemns the “arbitrary limitations” placed on residents’ “autonomy and personal lives”. 

In a statement to The University Times, a university spokesperson acknowledged that “the RTB serves an important function for accommodation in Ireland”. The statement continues, stating that “any queries received from an independent public body are dealt with appropriately”.